The Industrial Engineer ensures that production operations (overhauls, repairs and refurbishments) are ready to go at the scheduled start of production effectively utilizing lean methodologies to meet or exceed performance standards. The Industrial Engineer will focus on the manufacturing bill of material (MBOM) delivering accurate work instructions for the various production/refurbishment tasks while confirming all tooling and fixtures are available. The Industrial Engineer will work directly with vehicle refurbishment and/or bogie service center, assembly and will support a team of customer service employees. The responsibility will be focusing on the McClellan, CA service location but also oversee the support of the future locations in Portland, OR and Phoenix, AZ and will ensure successful ramp ups, on-going production and continuous improvement.
• Plans equipment layout, workflow, and accidental prevention measures, and the respective processes and guidelines of production.
• Contributes to budget development and ensures adherence to agreed budgets in Industrial Engineering.
• Develops and Implements performance measurement and improvement initiatives.
• Performs inspections and investigations, and analyzes technical manufacturing or logistics processes and sequences.
• Plans, proposes and implements improvements projects on site or unit level, sets the respective targets, budgets and personnel resources, and steers the overall project process.
• Liaises with other engineering functions or external vendors or service providers, and constantly monitors and approves respective services and work deliveries.
• Manages overall ramp-up phase of new production & test equipment, or production launch of new products. and ensures life cycle support.
• Ensures process documentation, and trains related manufacturing or maintenance staff.
• Conducts time and motions studies and derives time standards for production calculations.
• Development and implementation of material delivery and storage systems
• Design of fixtures, templates and jigs
• Insures availability of proper tooling and improves it where possible
• Troubleshooting of production issues
• Adapting engineering documentation to production requirements
• Organizing maintenance of shop floor equipment
• Hazardous waste management
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• High school diploma or GED
• 3 years of experience planning vehicle production (e.g. rail, aviation, naval, heavy equipment).
• Experience reading engineering drawings and gaining an understanding of manufacturing process requirements such as job sequence, workflow, fixture requirements, etc.
Firm project management skills , including developing project plans, timelines / schedules, budgets, proposed layouts, resource requirements, calculating ROI, etc.
• Practical knowledge of the lean tool box and ability to utilize lean principles to reduce waste.
• A history of “hands-on” approach to problem solving and countermeasure implementation within own areas of responsibility.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the structure and make up of vehicles, including welding activities, fabrication and assembly, electrical sub-assembly, and final assembly.
• Demonstrated understanding of tooling and fixtures for manufacturing and its impact to accuracy and quality.
• Experience using different types of bills of materials.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering highly preferred.
• Six Sigma Master Black Belt / Six Sigma Black Belt / Lean Expert Certification
• Practical experience in Customer Service / Maintenance / After Market businesses and technologies within the rail industry preferred.
• Practical experience using complex Factory Planning Methods such as defining high level manufacturing plans, identifying / analyzing new technologies required, creating a value stream analysis, performing total space needs analysis, performing total capacity needs analysis, implementation planning, etc. preferred.
• Practical experience transferring technical knowledge, manufacturing knowledge, technologies from lead factories to market factories preferred.
• Practical experience training others on Lean topics, facilitating Lean improvement activities, leading lean improvement activities (KAIZEN) within a welding, finishing, assembly, and electrical sub-assembly environment.
• Practical experience utilizing and implementing lean methods and tools such as 5s, 7 Types of Waste, 8-Step Practical
• Problem Solving (root cause analysis), Yamazumi Methods, Flow, Total Flow, Kanban,Value Stream Mapping and Design
• Process Flow Diagrams, ABC-XYZ Analysis, and Lean Shop Floor Management Model.
• Practical experience coaching and training staff at all levels and functions of the organization including Lean in Production,
• Lean in Engineering, Lean in Quality, Lean in Procurement / Purchasing / Supply Chain and Lean at the Supplier.
• Knowledge of MRP / ERP / SAP systems is highly desired.
• Working knowledge of CAD Design Program (AutoCAD, CREO)
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here .
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here .