You will serve as a business partner for advising the business on a broad range of legal matters.
Principal duties include:
· assisting our business units (Primary Care, Specialty Care, Vaccine, and Consumer Healthcare) in developing and carrying out their strategy and day-to-day operations in Japan (subject to rotation within the Legal team)
· providing day-to-day advice and support to support business functions including clinical trials, medical affairs, public affairs, and procurement etc.
· handling licensing and other various commercial transactions in Japan, in coordination with the Corporate Legal team
· working together with the Compliance team to ensure compliance with applicable laws and internal policies
· handling dispute resolutions
· developing and contributing to the legal knowledge base, and educating and training internal stakeholders
· improving, streamlining, and simplifying processes and procedures
· Law degree (J.D. or equivalent) from a leading university and/or law school.
· Licensed to practice law in Japan.
· Minimum 6 years post-qualification legal experience at a top national or international law firm or the law department of a multinational operating company.
· Extensive experience dealing with broad legal matters including litigation, agreements, transactions.
· Legal experience in the life science industry is preferable.
· A broad and deep understanding of Japanese law applicable to the pharma industry, with the ability to advise on the consequences of legal scenarios/decisions.
· Strong analytical skills to identify and evaluate all key legal issues inherent to the business.
· Ability to think critically and creatively, and make clear and well-reasoned decisions.
· The mindset of a positive business partner in contributing to growing the business.
· A committed team player with great people skills and who can effectively and efficiently collaborate and build relationships with internal clients at all levels throughout the organization and engender a sense of loyalty, fairness and organizational accountability in a multicultural environment.
· Excellent leadership based on empathy in a modern team context.
· Highest standards of ethics and integrity as well as demonstrated ability to enforce the standards while handling potentially sensitive or contentious matters in a timely and constructive manner.
· Excellent ability to communicate orally and in writing in both Japanese and English. Ability to draft legal documents in both Japanese and English strongly preferred.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.