Packaging Engineer Chocolate EMEA
Up to £52,821 ( Dependent on experience) plus bonus, competitive pension plan, health insurance plan, etc…
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The role has accountability for deploying Packaging Innovation, Efficiency and Sustainability initiatives from CBUs and Global Packaging and developing & implementing the Regional Packaging Pipeline. The associate will act as Technical Leader, understanding how to manage stakeholders & influence team members and drive results. The associate will drive the prioritized initiatives working with cross functions through stage gates and ultimately launch
The role has accountability for deploying Packaging Innovation, Efficiency and Sustainability initiatives from Category Business Units (CBUs) and Global Packaging and developing & implementing the Regional Packaging Pipeline. The associate will act as Technical Leader, understanding how to manage stakeholders & influence team members and drive results. The associate will drive the prioritized initiatives working with cross functions through stage gates and ultimately launch.
Focus for the first 18 months - 2 years :
Although Packaging Development will form a part of this role (~10%), for the first 18 months to 2 years the focus for this role will be on leading a programme of work to harmonise and improve robust processes, systems & ways-of-working within the regional R&D Packaging teams and linking with other functions and teams. As such, we’re looking for a highly motivated, engaging, innovative, process oriented candidate to lead this transformational work across the regional team.
In this role you will:
· Be responsible for leading a range of Chocolate Packaging activities within R&D, delivering project milestones for allocated projects, from conception through to execution
· Lead the discovery and translation for regionally-led Chocolate NPD/efficiency activities e.g. local jewel innovation and short life cycle innovation for our global brands
· Partner with the CBU and Global Technology team to deploy new innovation in the region by representing the relevant regional insights, needs and translating the CBU design into desirable, feasible & viable solutions for EMEA
· Be a primary interface within R&D for all R&D sub-functions and cross functions.
· Identify new Packaging opportunities and translating them into attributes using a variety of Consumer and Sensory tools
· Apply creative skills/knowledge of Packaging and a thorough understanding of our supply network (including co-manufacturers) to deliver Packaging that deliver against specified attribute
· Produce lab scale prototypes of existing/new Packaging/semi-finished products and defining relevant quality attributes
To do this role you’ll need:
1. Education & Professional Qualification
· Essential qualifications: ‘a degree in Packaging, Packaging Materials, Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Polymer Science or Engineering or related field of study’ or relevant experience in industry field will be considered as an alternative to a degree.
· Desirable qualification; ‘a Master’s or PhD in similar field of study or relevant experience in industry ’
· Demonstrated project management (ideally of numerous, interconnected projects) and networking/communication skills.
· Proven food-Packaging development/prototyping skills (these can also be developed within role)
· A solid understanding of the desirable, feasible, viable approach and is able to demonstrate problem solving and analytical approaches
· Passion for the consumer and quality, being able to demonstrate creativity in turning insights into product solutions.
· Understanding of the business strategy and the contribution of a given innovation project to the activity plan.
· Passion for the consumer and quality, being able to demonstrate creativity in turning insights into packaging solutions.
· Understanding and application of our business process to manage innovation
3. Key Supporting Competencies
· Action orientated and results driven
· Good planner
· Ability to quickly build strong relationship with peers and partners
· Strong organisational agility and stakeholder management
· Good command skills and motivating skills
We know its important to you to find out as much about us as possible, so following a review of your CV the first stage will be a telephone interview with the hiring manager and a chance for you to ask lots of questions. If successful you will be invited to an interview day in front of our panel. Don’t worry you’ll have plenty of time to prepare.
Closing date: 20/08/2019
Please ensure you have the right to work in UK & Ireland without Mars having to issue you with a Tier 2 certificate of sponsorship.
(see guidance from the UK Border Agency for further information: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier2/general/ )
To open up a dialogue, please click on the APPLY button below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Job Segment: Engineer, Chemical Engineer, R&D Engineer, Project Manager, Engineering, Technology