At KPMG, our values define who we are and the way we do business. As a leading professional services firm, we know that our strength and capability come from our people – their different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds. From our inclusive leadership strategy to our diversity and inclusion targets – we’re making bold changes to who we are and what we do. Be part of it.
KPMG's Tax practice is a dynamic and successful area of our business. A constantly changing and increasingly high-profile field, Tax can offer a surprisingly broad range of quality career paths to ambitious people.
Gatwick office covers Sussex, Surrey & Kent. The market is diverse with a client and target base of UK listed, PE backed, privately owned and overseas inbound groups across a broad range of industries.
The Gatwick tax team is part of our London Regions Tax business, working closely with colleagues in offices across the region.
The team is very inclusive, supportive and friendly and we value fresh ideas and innovation in all we do. We embrace agile working.
We have experienced consistent high growth in Gatwick and are looking for capable, proactive individuals to join our team and to be part of our continued growth story as we look to build on the size of our business.
We are looking for a Tax Assistant Manager to provide tax advisory, compliance management and business development services to our clients and targets.
For each client, working as a member of the client service team to provide corporate tax services including:
• Providing tax technical advice to clients on a range of issues depending on the nature of the clients business and what they are doing with the business, for example:
o Mergers and Acquisitions
o Expansion plans
o Entering new markets
o Developing new products
o Moving premises
o Staff reward issues
• Overseeing the provision of tax compliance services, including:
o Maintaining contact with the client and agreeing scope of works
o Agreeing scope, budget, timetable etc with the Centre of Excellence (“CoE”)
o Acting as an interface between the client and CoE
o Providing guidance to the team in the CoE on complex issues
o Implementing the firm's advice in submitting returns and negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs
o Reviewing corporation tax computations
Being the principal contact with small to medium sized clients on day to day tax matters and working with Managers and Senior Managers on larger clients
• Developing a trusted advisor relationship with your clients to enable you to deepen your understanding of the client’s business issues and identify opportunities to provide support and advice.
• Participating with Managers and more senior members of the team in business development activities
• Coaching junior members of staff and supervising their work
• Dealing with client billing
• Keeping internal control records up to date and ensuring compliance with quality control procedures
• Liaising with the client service team and colleagues in other tax disciplines as well as the audit and accounting discipline to provide a co-ordinated service to the client
• Working with specialists to deliver expertise to the market
• Discussing new tax ideas and developments with clients
• Understanding the implications for clients of changes in legislation and HMRC practice to articulate these to clients and the potential impact on their tax position
• Advising the client on the computational treatment of contentious issues
• Carrying out tax audits and advising the audit team of potential tax exposures
• Assisting clients with management of their relationships with HMRC taking account of the risk assessment process, HMRC operational approach, dispute resolution and working with clients on remedial work in connection with their processes and controls.
• Assisting clients with Tax governance including control frameworks, establishing and controlling tax risk and the requirements of the SAO legislation
• Qualified (ACA or CTA) or equivalent, with post-qualification experience
• Sound knowledge of UK corporate taxation and preferably an awareness of international tax issues
• Sound knowledge of accountancy principles, in particular accounting for tax (including deferred taxation and accounts disclosures)
• Strong time and task management skills. Able to remain calm when under pressure and meet deadlines
• Sustains a high level of drive, shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude when coping with pressure at work
• Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients (internal and external). A practical approach to problems with client focus and commercial awareness
• Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work. Continuously learns from experiences. Seeks out feedback and development opportunities
• Ability to build strong relationships with clients and to build new relationships with new clients. Communicates with impact in a way that is open, honest, consistent, and clear
• Ability to work as part of a team. Gives clear directions, positive and constructive feedback. Coaches less experienced staff.
• Works in a cooperative, respectful manner with colleagues, clients and the wider community