Our team is committed to providing senior National Security leaders with decision-worthy data and analysis to improve the effectiveness of Intelligence system supporting DoD Warfighters. We are seeking a cleared Mission Analytics Consultant / Data Scientist to join the team of IBMers currently supporting the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security, OUSD(I&S). Our practitioners have backgrounds in operations research, statistics, analytics, data science and management consulting, with deep expertise in military intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) systems and defense Artificial Intelligence programs.
The team conducts empirical analysis to provide definitive accounts of ISR and AI/ML contributions to operations and generate data-driven acquisition recommendations. Work location is in the Washington DC area (Reston and Arlington), with US and worldwide travel.
1. Executes analytical workstreams, to include building hypotheses, generating analytic framework to test hypotheses, data wrangling, data analysis, quality controlling the results, and documenting the implications of those results in client-ready deck pages (20%)
2. Interface with the client, stakeholders, military personnel, and data providers to ensure that the team has maximal buy-in for its activities, can collect data it needs, and provides its clients the most decision-worthy recommendations/advice (20%)
3. Conduct and report on detailed research into military operations, ISR technology/sensors/platforms, ISR tactics and procedures, AI/ML technology employment (20%)
4. Contribute to product storyboards, scoping of analytical tasks and project objectives (based on analytic feasibility) (20%)
5. Completes high-end, fast-turn, ad hoc analytical tasks at the request of the client and/or IBM team lead (20%)
Auto req ID
Role ( Job Role )
State / Province
Primary job category
(0147) International Business Machines Corporation
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
Up to 10% or 1 day a week
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· US Citizen with active TS//SCI clearance or show immediate eligibility according to JPAS security database
· Bachelors Degree, preferably in Operations Research, STEM, National Security Studies, or similar
· 7+ years of experience in the area of operations research or quantitative analysis; must be able to interpret ambiguous tasking, discern value proposition for client, structure and assign complex tasks, and coach/mentor more junior team members on a full range of consulting and analytic skills
· 3+ years experience with the development and communication of executive-level decision products (General Officer/Flag Officer/Senior Executive Service level)
· Possess deep expertise of national or military intelligence capabilities and their use
· Demonstrate near-expert level use of MS Excel and MS Powerpoint to evaluate and communicate analysis of military intelligence and operational data
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· Masters Degree, preferably in Operations Research or other STEM degrees
· 5+ years experience in the military or intelligence community; exposure to ISR capabilities is highly desired
· 3+ years experience in leading small project teams in data analysis, product development, executive level communication
· 3+ years experience working in intelligence policy or oversight organizations; experience at OUSD(I&S) highly desired
· Experience and/or proficiency in Python, R, ArcGIS, Tableau, MS Access, SQL
· Experience and/or proficiency in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and/or Natural Language Processing
Secondary Job Category
Other Data Science
· US Citizenship Required
· TS//SCI required (polygraph preferred)
· Single Scope Background Investigation
Early Professional Track
Not Applicable - Professional Hire
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
As a Data Scientist at IBM, you will help transform our clients' data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether it's investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.