We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine in 2020 as one of America’s Best Employers. We strongly support the spirit of collaboration through effectively involving team members and colleagues from other relevant units when developing and executing strategies and projects. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Entomology Research Assistant (2001375) – Morrisville, NC
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking a professional like you to screen samples for insecticidal activity and assist in developing and improving insect assays. You will perform and analyze in plate and in planta bioassays on economically important insects with the goal of discovering and characterizing insecticidal activities from different sources. You will also produce critical data that supports ongoing research as well as product development. This is a bench level scientist position.
Although not required, experience with the major insect pests of key agricultural crops (corn, soybean, cotton, wheat, etc.) and experience with protein-based bioassays is advantageous to this role. An ability to design, implement and analyze experiments, develop and improve assays, as well as basic knowledge of biochemistry, molecular biology and microbiology are also preferred.
This role requires that you are willing and able to work with live insects, nematodes and bacteria.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success
· Your ability and motivation to learn new techniques will be a valued asset as you work with the screening team to set-up and score in plate and in planta insect bioassays.
· Your computer proficiency (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and solid verbal and written communication skills will serve you well as you prepare adequate reports and communicate with the lab manager, group leader and/or project leader on a regular basis.
· Using your creative and flexible thinking, you will train and supervise others in specific activities.
· Working independently with minimum supervision and as a member of a multidisciplinary research team, you will complement, when necessary, team members in planning.
· Leveraging your education in biology, entomology, or a related field and your relevant experience in an academic or industrial laboratory environment, you will manage and implement automation solutions.
· Employing your ability to handle confidential and sensitive information, you will manage the confidentiality of competitive know-how.
· Your keen attention to detail and excellent organizational & recordkeeping abilities will be critical as you archive information properly (including notebook keeping, shared spreadsheets, and any other relevant database).
· Your unwavering commitment to compliance will be evident as you follow all QHSE, Biosafety, and USDA/APHIS/PPQ requirements.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.