Agriculture plays a fundamental role in fulfilling many of humanity's basic needs: food, feed, energy. To support growers and those who take care of our environment, BASF develops innovative solutions for farming, pest control and landscape management - so that we can effectively contribute to improving people's lives and business' demands. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for sustainable agriculture at the Innovation Center of BASF Belgium Coordination Center CommV in Gent, Belgium.
The Precision Phenotyping team, part of global Trait Evaluation within Trait Research uses digital platforms (sensors and cameras) to measure and translate plant characteristics into data to enable decision making in different research programs.
The purpose of this role is to strengthen the multidisciplinary team with increasing analytical capabilities. This includes providing expert advice in the development and implementation of data analysis pipelines as well as hands-on support in the setup (design) and analysis of the digital phenotyping experiments, including the processing of images.
· You become part of a multidisciplinary team and stimulating work environment where creativity and innovation are part of the key drivers.
· You get the opportunity to closely interact and learn from multiple R&D research programs and the scientific community within Trait Research.
· You are the key data analysis expert providing support in the design and analysis of complex experiments.
· Developing a data analysis toolset (R-packages, apps, ...) enabling team members with different skillsets to analyze their data and report on their experiments is one of your main responsibilities.
· You work closely together, build a strong network and are the point of contact for Digital Teams within BASF to follow up on running projects.
· You are responsible for the processing of images and other sensor data.
· You have freedom to shape and optimize the existing data workflows and are expected to further develop your expertise to stay on top of state-of-the-art methodologies in the public domain.
· Furthermore, you will coach the team to increase the maturity of the overall data savviness.
· Preferably, you have a master's degree in statistics, data science, bioinformatics, computational biology or similar with minimum 4 years of working experience.
· You understand statistical theory and principles and you can implement this in experimental setups and explain the information to non-experts.
· A strong analytical mindset and the ability to translate scientific ideas into testable research questions and experimental designs, define you.
· You have experience with image analysis methods and tools. Standard segmentation is a must, more advanced image processing using e.g. Deep Learning is a plus.
· Additionally, you have knowledge of statistical programming languages (R) and experience in developing R-packages.
· You have experience with scripting and code development (e.g Python).
· You have a good understanding of data management principles, data base structures, use of APIs, ...
· You have experience in high performance computing environments.
· You have a creative and innovative mindset.
· You thrive in an international environment, where you collaborate in a global team.
· Finally, a good communication in English, both written and spoken is important.
· Responsibility from day one in a challenging work environment and "on-the-job" training as part of a committed team.
· Competitive compensation including attractive benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international company.
We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matters to us, without regard of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
Do you have any questions about the application process or the job?
Mrs. Van den Poel (Talent acquisition)
Phone: +49 30 2005 - 58363
At BASF, the chemistry is right. Because we are counting on innovative solutions, on sustainable actions, and on connected thinking. And on you. Become a part of our formula for success and develop the future with us - in a global team that embraces diversity and equal opportunities irrespective of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief.