National Home Warranty Group Inc., an affiliate of Aviva Canada Inc., is currently hiring in the Langley and Vancouver region for top talent to join our Underwriting team. As an Underwriter on the team, you will be responsible for underwriting of home warranty risks and client management of single family builders and small multi-family projects. A deep understanding or meaningful experience of Home Warranty insurance or construction/development policies, guidelines, and operational procedures is a huge plus.
Are you passionate about client relations?
New client development is a key expectation for your success in this role, while managing the existing client base and practicing good judgment on underwriting, risk assessment and selection decisions.
· Your responsibility to build and develop new accounts is instrumental in maintaining an existing portfolio of accounts in adherence with policies, guidelines, procedures, and operating process of the assigned geographical region. Builders and risks are of a low to moderate degree of complexity.
· Your approach to client care will be proven through the positive relationships you establish with builder clients.
· Evaluate builder requests and recommend security requirements, terms and conditions.
· Monitor builder and project through to completion, identifying any changes in risk exposure and recommending action to mitigate risk.
· Maintain a current understanding of the acts and regulations regarding home warranty insurance in the geographical area of responsibility.
· We provide a high level of service to both internal and external customers per the home warranty service plan, while maintaining integrity of underwriting and risk selection.
· Assist the claims, administration, and technical departments, as requested, with builder claim issues for which the underwriter may influence the builder to a positive outcome.
· You will need a good level of flexibility regarding travel, as the role requires business travel locally for industry events and meetings. Some travel outside the region may be required, however, remaining within the province of British Columbia. Attend industry functions outside normal business hours as a representative of National Home Warranty.
· Maintain good relationships with cross-functional teams: Underwriters, Technical Representatives, IRA specialist, claims adjusters and underwriting administration staff.
· Work collaboratively with our partners: Builder clients, commercial lines insurance brokers, local home-builder associations, and other industry associations, developers, insurance brokers, regulatory officials.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, & Skills:
· Post-secondary diploma / degree, ideally in Commerce, Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Business Administration. BCIT graduate from the General Insurance & Risk Management diploma, or Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA).
· Our preference is for applicants to hold the appropriate insurance agents license in the province of the assigned region, or an agreement to obtain in a specified time frame upon hire.
· Your experience in a construction/development related background would be a big asset.
· Direct business development experience would bring value to the needs of the role.
· Basic knowledge of residential construction related terms and process’, general understanding of the insurance model
· Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills. Second language skills would be a big advantage.
· Marketing and analytical mindset.
· Ability to tackle requests, situations, underwriting and business related issues and problems effectively within the departmental parameters with low to moderate degree of complexity, and prioritize accordingly.
· Excels in a dynamic team environment.
· Valid drivers’ license.
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.