Amazon’s Shopping Design team designs the shopping journey for Amazon customers—from discovery and evaluation of products and programs, to writing and reading product reviews, to gifting and saving products for later, to checking out and completing purchases. We’re also the team that defines the UX guidelines and design language (codified in our shopping design system) that enables teams across Amazon to design on-brand shopping experiences efficiently and at scale.
We are seeking a Principal UX Designer to drive the creative direction of our next-generation shopping experience. In this role, you will work with a small, passionate team to conceptualize, define, and design both the high-level strategy and detailed design work to innovate new and easier ways for customers to shop independently and with others. Your primary goal will be to ensure an unparalleled customer experience that enables our customers to evaluate and buy products in the most elegant, efficient, and enjoyable way possible.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, yet pragmatic design thinker and maker that can think broadly across platforms and domains, but then dive deep into pixels, microinteractions, words, and similar details. You should be passionate about working strategically with executives and other senior leaders to create and deliver big, visionary and customer-focused experiences.
· Leading new creative and holistic thinking across diverse product releases, platforms, and devices; driving the direction, style, and methodology of design and accessibility.
· Defining and developing the vision for innovative new solutions, solving some of our toughest shopping challenges.
· Championing cohesion in design that unites a growing family of programs and features, while continuing to deliver and evangelize a fervent culture of invention and innovation.
· Leading cross-team conceptual development; being a strategic thought leader in how to implement unmatched experiences that represent the most customer-centric intersection between design, business, content, and technology.
· Model excellence in design, while growing and developing fellow designers. You would be perfect for this role if: · You are a systems thinker who thinks big and designs for scalability.
· You move fast and design groundbreaking experiences that visually provoke and captivate.
· You are a principled design thinker who envisions and crafts holistic solutions for your users that span the entire customer journey.
· You are an empathic and optimistic teammate who flourishes when collaborating closely with other disciplines and partners.
· Experience leading full life cycle design projects, from design strategy through execution and market introduction.
· Fluency in best practices for User Interface Design, Information Architecture, and Interaction Design; practical knowledge of User Centered Design processes and lifecycles; ability to provide and effectively communicate strategic and tactical recommendations based on quantitative/qualitative data and optimal Design practices.
· Comprehensive knowledge of the latest design concepts, emerging technologies, and other developments in the user experience field.
· Effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to influence and deliver results.
· Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization. · Able to translate concepts into concrete depictions to clarify ideas and advance collaboration based on shared understanding.
· Talent for crafting imaginative and innovative design solutions while maintaining user expectations through pattern consistency and interaction harmony.
· Strong bias for action including the ability to juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast paced, dynamic environment
· Willing to roll up the sleeves to meet business and product deliverables
· Passion for the role of design within an organization and the ability to develop and mentor design talent
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· A total of 10+ years as a user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar role
· Experience designing large-scale systems and applications
· A strong portfolio of innovative, customer-centric design work that demonstrates proficiency in interaction and visual design
· Proficiency in design tools such as Sketch, Axure, Photoshop, Illustrator, or similar
· Bachelor’s, or equivalent degree, in Design, HCI, or related field or equivalent professional experience with the design field.