Amazon’s North America Operations Employee Relations (ER) team is looking for a Principal, Employee Relations with a demonstrated passion for building and sustaining positive, engaged work environments for associates and leaders, significant employee and labor relations subject matter expertise and proven success as a leader of people. The Employee Relations team is responsible for reducing risk to the business by creating and executing programs to develop the next generation of high-performing, associate-centric frontline leaders. The Principal, Employee Relations will play a vital role in advancing our mission. The Employee Relations is a tight-knit team of ER professionals, including former HR, operational and legal leaders. We are passionate about improving our leaders’ skill sets in associate engagement across the organization. This position supports Amazon's NACF business and will report to the Director, NACF Employee Relations.
· Leadership: Directly lead and develop a remote team of Employee Relations Managers.
· Subject Matter Expertise: Utilize employee and labor relations expertise to identify issues, predict and mitigate risk and develop and execute ER strategies and ER programs for the business.
· Crisis Management: The individual also will work reactively on critical employee relations issues that are crisis-oriented and typically can only be successfully completed with limited time. Assessing and calibrating responses to varying situations, using sound judgment in decision making. Balancing time between projects and crisis-response is a critical component.
· Project Management: Independently own large scale, network-wide projects for the ER team that improve the associate experience at the network level. Lead and drive teams to deliver results and execute project deliverables.
· Analytical and Measurement: Exceptional analytical skills, comfortable working with large amounts of data, communicating data findings and measuring success of programs and projects.
· Deliver Innovative Solutions: Challenge current practices and think outside the box to generate creative ways to scale ER and HR programs and develop innovative ER solutions that meet timelines and deliverables, raise the bar and exceed the customer expectations.
· Communication: Create and own written communications to business and HR leaders and stakeholders on all ER related matters.
· Cross-Functional Collaboration: Build collaborative, influential internal and external relationships with Operations and HR leaders and other critical stakeholders to gather information, feedback and earn support and necessary resources to develop and execute ER strategies and programs.
· Problem Solver: Troubleshoot issues independently and drive them to closure with minimal supervision; persevere in the face of internal and external barriers.
· Travel: This is a position that requires significant travel domestically, up to 30-50% of the time.
· Juris Doctor, advanced degree, or other specialized training in labor/employee relations a significant plus.
· Previous people leadership/management experience
· Previous operations experience
· Ability to quickly connect with people across a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
· Demonstrated passion for building positive, engaged work environments for employees and leaders.
· Successful record of creating, improving and executing programs at scale, ability to drive and measure program effectiveness and high levels of customer satisfaction.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, able to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously while delivering on commitments.
· Outstanding communication skills, specifically in written form and presentation and public speaking skills.
· Ability to convey ideas and recommendations in a clear, compelling and succinct way in written and verbal communications; can facilitate action and commitment across in-person and remote groups of stakeholders and peer.
· Strong team, interpersonal and persuasion skills, enabling individual to establish influential partnerships working with peers, senior leaders and across organizational lines.
· Experience identifying and resolving complex issues, assumes leadership roles in unfamiliar or ambiguous circumstances - solid sense of accountability, high-quality judgment and sound decision-making.
· Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, flexible, able to change direction quickly and in leading through both ambiguity and constant change
· Ability to handle confidential information and escalate issues when appropriate.
· Strong bias for action, ability to independently deliver results while working remotely with limited direction.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Ideal candidate profile
· 10+ years of relevant experience.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Employee and labor relations subject matter expertise.
· Experience in both union and non-union environments.
· Foundational understanding of labor and employment laws.
· Skilled in MS Excel, Word, SharePoint & PowerPoint; curious about new learning technologies.