Want to invent sustainable packaging that delights customers, eliminates waste, and ensures products arrive intact and undamaged?
We're looking for a Senior Design Technologist to join our Customer Packaging Experience team in Seattle, WA. Our team reinvents and simplifies Amazon's outbound packaging using a science-based approach that includes lab testing, materials science, manufacturing, and machine learning to scale sustainable change across the packaging supply chain.
You will contribute to the definition of new types of packaging, create concepts for new experiences that involve packaging, and create functional prototypes for user testing and custom campaigns all while working directly with Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers. This role acts as a bridge between design and engineering--conveying technical considerations to design team and UX considerations to engineering--to ensure solution designs are achievable.
We're looking for someone who can push the envelope and inspire leaders and development teams to invest in new ideas. The ideal candidate will be equally passionate about design as they are about technology as a means to enhance design. A creative problem solver with keen eye for best-in-class functional design.
Ideal candidate profile
· BS in Computer Science or related technical field or 5 years of relevant work experience
· Experience as a creative technologist, front-end developer, and/or hardware prototyper (e.g., Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Spark Core/Electron/Photon)
· Demonstrated experience in graphics programming, animation systems, or particle systems
· Strong creative thinker with the ability and willingness to pivot approaches as required
· Demonstrated ability to learn, evaluate, and adopt new technologies quickly
· Ability to work with ambiguity and visualize solutions for emerging concepts
· History of building prototypes to advance design thinking and the final product experience
· Strong understanding of interaction design and design process
· Portfolio of work
· Is current on technology trends and development techniques (e.g., web: mobile, desktop; native: iOS, Android, ReactNative). Has a framework for choosing and adapting techniques for target use cases.
· Shows good judgement when making UX and technical trade-offs between short-term prototyping needs and long-term product integration needs
· Can articulate the context for current technology choices and guide future technology choices