Amazon is looking for a Data Scientist to provide statistical and analytical insights from the vast array of services powering one of the world’s largest Reliability, Maintenance Engineering (RME) platforms. As part of the Automation Engineering team, we support the business in all aspects of the traditional automation pyramid, and we provide our internal users information on all aspects of the status of control systems within Amazon’s EU Fulfillment Network. At a basic level, these systems link our low-level automation systems with the cloud and we work at the cutting edge of all aspects of the automation pyramid, from device level to the enterprise level. The more complex systems are leveraging Machine Learning and Big Data to drive predictive actions, preventing downtime or defects in the material handling equipment and improving the Overall Equipment Efficiency of the installations.
This role requires an individual with excellent statistical and analytical abilities, professional experience applying data science methodologies and data engineering practices as well as outstanding business acumen and ability to work with various teams across Amazon. The successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and driven by a desire to innovate in this space.
You are a significant and autonomous contributor. Your work is consistently of high quality. You are able to use a range of data science methodologies to conduct analysis for cases when the solution approach is unclear that relate to a portion of a business or business process. You apply a breadth of experience from practical application of data science techniques and tools to solve difficult business problems. Your work is focused on team-level goals, medium size projects, and small subsets of larger goals. You are able to ramp up quickly on new areas where colleagues identify established solutions. You are expected to consistently demonstrate a combination of the following:
· You independently own and solve difficult business problems. These may be well-defined problems where the solution has not yet been outlined or approach to solve is unclear.
· You deliver artifacts on medium size projects that affect important business decisions. You define the methodology and own the analysis.
· You are able to gather and use complex data set across domains. You proactively gather data when it is not readily available.
· You skilfully employ a range of data science methods, tools, and best practices. You are able to justify your approach.
· You write clear and factually correct documents explaining technical concept to non-technical audience.
· You have good working relationships with team-mates and peers working on related areas. You recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them.
· You confidently train new team-mates about your customers, how your team’s solutions work, and how those solutions are reflected in the data.
· Master's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field with at least 2 years of working experience as a Data or Research Scientist.
· Experienced in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects.
· Experience with Industrial Controls/Automation.
· Knowledge of SCADA/MES/ERP systems.
· Knowledge of AWS Infrastructure, Redshift, Time Series/NoSQL Database & Technology
About our rewards:
We’ll expect you to go the extra mile, but we’ll also make sure you’re well rewarded. As well as a competitive salary, stock units and site performance-related pay potential, we offer a whole host of other benefits, including an employee discount.
Additionally, you will find yourself in a stimulating environment where you can develop processes as well as yourself as an individual by working with some of the best and brightest minds in the industry. Our rapidly growing organisation also offers many opportunities for building a diverse and rewarding career.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of companies' world-wide recruitment database, and to circulate that information as necessary for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for this or other job vacancies.
Ideal candidate profile
· A Bachelor or Masters Degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or equivalent experience
· Previous experience in a research science, ML, or data scientist role and a track record of strong statistical analysis and building ML or DL models
· Strong background and experience using Python and/or R
· Experience using ML libraries, such as scikit-learn, caret, mlr, mllib
· Experienced in using multiple statistical/data science methodologies to solve complex business problems.
· Experienced in handling large data sets using SQL and databases in a business environment.
· Excellent verbal and written communication. Strong ability to interact, communicate, present, and influence within multiple levels of the organization
· Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.