Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The goal within the Maintenance Department is to maintain plant electrical systems and equipment in a safe and reliable manner. This work must comply with all applicable corporate, state and federal regulation/policies. The Maintenance Department’s function is to provide outstanding customer service and support to the manufacturing teams through preventative/predictive maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and upgrading of plant processing, packaging, and the filling line equipment.
The Abbott Nutrition Columbus plant operates 24 hours per day, usually running 7 days a week in most areas. We currently operate on a rotating 12 hour schedule with 4 crews. Changes in volume and production requirements can result in changes in work schedule. These Maintenance roles are for night shift, but individuals must be flexible to changing work schedules that may include working on another shifts/crews and during nights and weekends.
- Respond to machine breakdowns due to electrical malfunctions or hardware/software failure
- PLC/ladder logic, control logiz, hard wire, Allen Bradley
- Conduct preventative maintenance tasks for equipment including UPS back ups, machine PMs and video jets.
- Design electrical modifications which includes researching appropriate software, submitting ECAs, making back ups of programs as needed and utilization of ladder logic.
- Install and troubleshoot new and modified equipment.
- Conduct project work/electrical upgrades and monitor contractor project work and upgrades.
- Monitor and repair facility and emergency system electrical failures.
- Proficient Experience with: 480VAC, photoeyes, solenoids, pneumatics, powerflex drives (PH40), Panelview/HMI
- Communications: DeviceNet, ControlNet, Ethernet
- Perform Preventative Maintenance on equipment to ensure proper operation and inspection of electrical/mechanical components and devices (sensors, switches, solenoids, contactors, AC and DC motors, cylinders, sensors, gearboxes, clutches, alignment, bearings, sprockets, chains, belts, etc);
- Develop a replacement part lists and follow-up work orders based on findings from inspections and repairs that are performed
- Repair and rebuild: centrifugal/positive displacement pumps, capper chucks and filler valves, etc
- Perform lubrication tasks, gather oil samples (if required), add oil or grease, monitor self-lubrication systems, pm automatic lubrication systems, apply grease and oil to components, drain and fill as needed.
- Properly use our Maximo work order system and follow all stockroom procedures.
- Predictive tools/techniques such as: thermography, ultrasonic, oil analysis, and vibration are used in the plant to troubleshoot and prevent failures throughout the plant
- Work with Plant engineering team to develop sustainable more robust systems into our asset care programs
- Work with operations to help improve operator care initiatives with your experience and findings from inspections and repairs
- Instrumentation – perform calibrations and critical pm’s on equipment components to ensure operation within proper tolerances
Skills / experience with:
- Welding: stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminum
- Fabrication experience with sheet metal and lexan to make/repair: guards, guides, rails, etc.
- Cutting of metal with a plasma cutter or torch; machining/fabrication of parts on a lathe or mill for replacement of repair or worn parts.
- Fabrication of parts directly from blueprints using lathe or mill to make and replace worn parts
- Use guidelines within National Electric Code (NEC); read electrical schematics and wire directly from wiring diagrams;
- Responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting problems with AC drive systems and PLCs. Be able to access and interpret PLC logic via a laptop computer or desktop station. Properly maintaining a PLC requires the understanding of the wiring schematics.
- Be able/understand how to install and wire an AC drive which requires an understanding of current flow and the theory of operation for the drive. Primary PLCs and drives in the plant include, but are not limited to: Allan Bradley, Modicon and Delta-V and the associated communication protocols.
- Experience Leading other employees including directing other maintenance personnel on the job and providing OJT for employees new to the department.
- Accountable for maintaining various hand tools and equipment; drills, wrenches, micrometers, calipers, torches, welders, lathe, mill, multimeter, grinders, bandsaw, mitre-box etc.
- Instruments: Pressure, flow, temperature, humidity, level, weight or scale experience; using 4-20 loop control, 0-10V control, calibration procedures, setup and verification with other equipment, etc
- Follow all plant and department procedures, GMP’s and plant safety rules. Keep all work areas clean by following 5S protocol.
- Follow all maintenance safety procedures; LOTO, know how to recognize an unsafe situation and evaluate the situation to keep yourself and others safe while performing the needed repair.
- Housekeeping of the shop is primarily the responsibility of everyone working in the area.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory standards and requirements for infant formula and nutritionals.
- This position is accountable for ensuring compliance with applicable FDA (GMP), USDA, OSHA and Abbott regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines.
High School Diploma or GED and two years mechanical/electrical technical degree or equivalent experience.
JOB FAMILY:Facilities & Maintenance
DIVISION:ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
LOCATION:United States > Columbus : Columbus Plant
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous walking for prolonged periods (more than 2 hours at a time in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf