Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
Designs hardware to support features that are included as part of new product definitions Designs verification testing (DVT) protocols. Applies engineering and scientific principles to the evaluation and solution of technical problems. Exercises technical judgment in planning, organizing, performing, coordinating and/or directing engineering work. Performs engineering studies. Remains abreast of and consults on technical advancements. Identifies and routinely uses the most effective and cost-efficient best practices to execute processes; continually evaluates their effectiveness and appropriateness.
- Performs system design of implantable devices. Selects components, processes, and foundries. Proposes design alternatives.
- Designs hardware to support features that are contained in the product definition. Develops hardware design specifications and circuit designs, and is responsible for technology selection.
- Assists the product definition team with feature selection. Provides recommendations to management regarding tools and product architecture.
- Evaluates and selects appropriate components and technologies
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
Bachelors Degree (± 16 years)
In electrical/mechanical/biomedical engineering or a related field.
an equivalent combination of education and work experience
Minimum 3 years:
- Relevant hardware design, development, or testing experience, including a general familiarity with manufacturing equipment/processes that are compatible with highly reliable electronic medical or similar devices.
- Ability to implement new design features as part of existing systems.
- Ability to deliver research information which adds value to management’s decision-making process.
- Demonstrated personal computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and specialized applications.
- Advanced credential in a relevant discipline/concentration and/or professional certification desired.
- Six-Sigma knowledge and experience desired.
- Training and experience in manufacturing processes and methods and in the manufacturing of medical devices desired.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel approximately 10%, including internationally.