Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for four consecutive years and in 2018, one of GamesIndustry.biz Best Places to Work.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a Generalist Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto
As the Generalist Programmer, you will oversee the development of the generic systems of the game engine. The general programmer will also integrate and support the middleware external modules used by the production team.
Type of position: Permanent, full-time.
The daily life of a Generalist Programmer at Ubisoft Toronto
· Assess the existing functionalities that are not associated with any specialties in the engine and see if these functionalities meet project requirements;
· Suggest improvements if necessary by designing and implementing new systems;
· Program in a clear and structured way, taking into account performance, maintenance, and compatibility requirements;
· Develop the generic systems that will support the specialist programmers’ functionalities (AI, 3D, etc.) and facilitate the integration into the engine;
· Support the functionalities and the systems;
· Determine and correct the bugs identified by people from other crafts and the quality control team;
· Document the work so as to transfer knowledge and enable users (from other crafts) to understand how to use the new physicality systems and functionalities;
· Carry out all other related tasks.
What it takes to make it
· Bachelors in computer science or computer engineering, or equivalent training or experience;
· Minimum 3+ years’ software programming experience, in the video game industry;
· Knowledge of the workings of video game engines;
· Interest and experience in most aspects of game technology development (audio, 3D, animation, gameplay, UI, network and tools);
· Experience using one or more commercial game engines;
· Experience of refactoring and optimization.
· Solid proficiency in C/C++ language and debugging;
· Ability to collaborate and work well with other disciplines;
· Understanding of performance sensitive programming (algorithmic and low level optimizations);
· Good understanding of Software Engineering principles, e.g. Object Oriented programming, etc.
Nice to have
· Good analytical and synthesizing abilities;
· Problem-solving skills;
· Autonomous and resourceful;
· Ability to take initiative;
· Attention to detail;
· Flexibility in work organization;
· Good communication and interpersonal skills;
· Ability to work as part of a team;
· Ability to adapt to change;
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation assistance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts who know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities and we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.