Reporting to the Lead Design Manager, the Principal Design Engineer will provide subject matter expertise and direction of signalling design activities to achieve the maximum output in producing outline and detailed signalling design from the resource available. The PDE will have significant experience of signaling design and be considered an expert in design management, design assurance or complex technical design.
What are my responsibilities?
· The Principal Design Engineer will usually undertake a role as a Design Manager for a large multi-stage project, Signalling Contractor's Engineering Manager, Contractor's Responsible Engineer (or equivalent) or as a technical specialist capable of producing, checking or specifying complex signalling design working on a range of projects at any one time
· Ensure that the technical standards are maintained in all aspects of signalling design work, in order that safe and successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved
· Participate in and monitor the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required
· Provide support and input to Project Managers, Project Engineers and the Engineering Manager on allocated projects
· Assist with forecasting the overall design resources and key skills necessary for allocated projects in sufficient time to ensure that they can be provided
· Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available commercial award for the Company
· Direct such training as may be required including the briefing in of new technical instructions, procedures, handbooks and signalling principles
· Focus on signalling design team development through support in the completion of annual performance appraisals, career reviews and development plans
· Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan
· Act in the role of Contactor's Engineering Manager or Contractor's Responsible Engineer as directed
· Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets
· Perform duties as directed by management from time to time
What do I need to qualify for this job?
· IRSE Engineering Manager's licence or a combination of Principles Design and Design Verifier licences (essential)
· Established professional status within the signalling industry, with significant experience of engineering implementation on large signalling schemes in the UK, Experience of overseas engineering delivery and metro signalling an advantage (essential)
· Commercially aware – be able to forecast and manage resource utilisation and costs (essential)
· Safety culture aware – to be able to influence and develop an existing safety culture to latest generation thinking and practice, for both technical and operational safety (essential)
· Supportive of a consistent company-wide approach to continuous improvement (essential)
· Strong leadership qualities including personal drive, persuasive communication skills, enthusiasm and support for company goals (essential)
· A broad base of engineering skills, experiences, knowledge and competencies covering the full engineering lifecycle, together with the requisite personal characteristics to take responsibility for facilitating cross disciplinary engineering activity in complex, innovative and commercially challenging environments (essential)
· Previous experience in systems engineering, project engineering and design of safety critical or safety related real-time systems, test and installation environments (essential)
· Strong and effective communicator at all levels within the business – and in front of new and existing customers – both internal and external (essential)
· Demonstrates an ability to work in an environment where calculated risk taking is necessary (essential)
· Must be willing to fill gaps in own knowledge and experience through taking a pro-active approach to learning, and seeking information from within and outside the company (essential)
· Chartered Engineer status
· To have passed four modules in the IRSE Professional Examinations
· A1 Assessor Qualification
· Member of the IET, IRSE or other recognised professional body
We're Siemens. A collection of over 385,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual's helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We're excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That's why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA , the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time