· Job facts
Genentech is hiring a Software/Data Engineer to support digital transformation efforts in the US biologics Pharmaceutical Development group. The ideal candidate will have experience building software products & solutions that support data-driven decision making in a cross functional environment.
The candidate should be a results oriented self-starter who has demonstrated success implementing products in a scientific setting.
The primary focus for this position will be supporting Drug Product Development and Process Engineering workflows. The candidate will be expected to coordinate data management efforts, develop custom software tools and shape the digital infrastructure in the department. This will involve intimate collaboration with Scientists, Laboratory Automation Engineers and Product Development Teams within the function and across the Roche network.
Work with our Technical Development Scientists and Directors to understand business needs and priorities, as well as clearly communicate scope and progress of work.
· Translate user requests into functional and technical requirements for data management and software tools
· Automate data flows, reports and analyses to develop interactive, employee-facing tools, platforms, and systems that inform, support, and enable scientific and business decisions.
· Develop and manage reusable code for interactive data visualization applications and tools for report generation.
· Work closely with project stakeholders and end users to understand their business processes and data management needs. You will identify gaps, propose and develop solutions.
· Understand and support global data standardization and digitization efforts within the Genentech / Roche organizations and collaborate with IT partners to address infrastructure gaps
· At least 2 to 5 years of relevant work experience
· MS/Bachelors with 1-3 years experience in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Data Engineering, (Bio)statistics, Bioprocess Informatics, (Bio)process Engineering, Computational Science or related area of focus
· Experience in high-quality software development, including familiarity with at least one relevant programming language (Python, R, C++, Java etc.) and with SQL/Oracle databases, including in distributed and cloud environments
· Experience developing shared code (e.g., version control, programming patterns, libraries/packages) and creating data pipelines involving a wide range of data types including interaction with IoT data sources and biophysical/analytical instrumentation.
· Excellent verbal and written business communication skills
· Experience promoting software development best practices with colleagues
· Demonstrated ability to understand complex scientific requirements to effectively communicate with users, understand their work, and translate requirements into solutions including Agile development environments.
· Experience in documenting detailed software requirements, user stories, business processes and software specifications for both custom and COTS systems.
· Comfortable working in a scientific environment, especially one that is related to drug development.
· Who we are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.