A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
This position is responsible for executing projects for the Petfood SBU focused on product formats across both Cat and Dog products. Performs engineering assignments as part of a work team involved in the planning, organizing, and developing new-technology and innovation as it relates to the Pet SBU. Requires ability to use and apply extensive knowledge of many engineering disciplines to execute small minor projects aligned with the overall SBU strategy. Significant collaboration is expected with all scientists and engineers in the Product and Packaging areas, Pilot Plant management, Quality Services and Engineering.
• Develop and manage capital projects to install factory scale-able equipment into the pilot plant and assessment of pilot plant scalability.
• Initiate test plan development, experimental setup, test execution and data analysis to quantify key process and packaging machine parameters and fundamental mechanisms at both pilot and factory scale.
• Deliver scalable process specifications collaboratively developed with Product Development and Supply Engineering to achieve exceptional product attribute targets and ensure superior product quality and food safety.
• Identify and evaluate innovative processing options based on product attribute requirements including evaluation based on technical and economic feasibility.
• Provide technical support to product development, QS and Supply on new or existing processes.
• Build/maintain networks within the Technology, Product Implementation, Packaging, Engineering, QS and Platform Technology teams.
• Lead translation of technology ideas into visual, physical models and working prototypes.
• Provide scalable technology platforms within the business strategy.
• Delivery of IP for technical insulation of new technology.
• Apply Lean Thinking principles and Value Added Engineering.
• Work as part of the engineering team to assist in the management of scale-up risk and introduction of technology into supply chain.
• Minor Project and Budget responsibilities are required with potential contractor and technician management responsibility.
• Bachelor’s in engineering or relevant course of study
• Minimum 3 years in R&D or Engineering development role
• Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
• Proven project planning and management skills
• Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes, experimental design software, and understand engineering drawings (e.g. AutoCAD)
• Advanced Degree in Chemical, Food or Mechanical Engineering
• 5 years in R&D or Engineering development
• Multi-site working experience
• Strong engineering fundamentals and familiarity with experimental design and statistical data analysis
• Demonstrated process development and project management abilities
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Nashville
Job Segment: Process Engineer, Engineer, Testing, Data Analyst, R&D Engineer, Engineering, Technology, Data