A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The role functions as a member of an area team that is directly responsible for manufacturing and packaging of artificial sweeteners in the Yorkville Plant.
This role will operate and manage specific material flows physically and within SAP, to ensure lot traceability. Team members must ensure efficiency, operational conformance, product quality and continuous improvement.
Team members must have the skill set to train and/or perform the tasks of other associates in the area as needed.
This job requires strong communication, interpersonal and team building skills to support site objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (each item should account for 10% or more)
• Adherence to safe work practices.
• Batch set-up by following formulas, preparing, weighing, and dispensing ingredients.
• Operation of equipment such as extruders, blenders, mills, and classifiers.
• Ability to clean and sanitize equipment including the scrape out of mixers.
• Sort coarse, fine, and good product and store with proper labelling.
• Systematic (SAP) receipt of raw materials and back flush (SAP) of finished goods.
• Management of material traceability through paper and electronic recording devices, (production forms and electronic scanners).
• Handle all housekeeping duties in the department and ensure the area is kept up with respect to 5S standards.
• Ability to perform cycle counts.
• Performs all assigned activities and job tasks within a line or area.
• Operates equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
• Takes corrective actions in solving problems to root cause level.
• Assess equipment, operating reliability, and performs routine repairs, adjustments, and malfunction troubleshooting.
• Performs and/or works with Maintenance to complete equipment preventive maintenance.
• Maintains accurate and timely records when completing quality checks, production performance, and waste management.
• Performs all required documentation in a quality manner.
• Performs Quality Control tasks such as magnet and screen checks, and maintains accurate logs.
• Demonstrates high degree of ownership for product quality, performs all standard quality checks and quality related duties.
• Understands production schedules, related computer and software systems - (MS Office, SAP), work instructions, and inventory requirements.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY, RECOMMENDATIONS AND IMPACT
• Maintains accurate records of quality checks, production numbers and waste performance
• Ability to recognize any out of spec condition, and correct, communicate that condition while following the required escalation protocol.
• High school diploma or GED
• 2 years of work experience within a manufacturing, technical and/or trade discipline
• 2 years of work experience within manufacturing, or a technical and/or trade discipline
• Ability to operate a forklift/OSHA certification
• Basic math skills and the ability to fill out paperwork.
• Ability to troubleshoot inefficiencies
• Ability to read/comprehend written and oral instruction in the English language
• Familiarity with SAP
• Standing on a concrete floor.
• Wearing proper personal protective equipment (hair net, beard net (as required), bump cap, gloves, ear plugs, safety shoes, Face Shield and uniform).
• Bending, stooping, twist, turn, standing for extended time periods, reaching, climbing stairs, and lifting up to 60 lbs.
• Ability to roll a 200 lb. barrel.
• Forklift assignments require OSHA certification and getting on and off frequently.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Architecture, ERP, SAP, Information Systems, Engineering, Technology