There are 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more... many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
Primary Location: United States (US) - Illinois (US-IL) - Moline
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Electric Drives Engineering Graduate Student Summer Intern 2020a - 59836
A graduate student electric drive intern supports product analysis, design, and/or testing activities for electric drive components and systems used on vehicles worldwide. Specific activities vary by position but will include one or more of the following responsibilities:
• Work with other engineers to define and develop the engineering requirements of electric drive components and systems. Electric drive components include motors, generators, active rectifiers, inverters, convertors, batteries, high voltage wiring, and connectors. Electric drive systems include traction systems, secondary drive systems, power management systems, auxiliary drives, and precision control systems.
• Integrate the electric drive system into the vehicle
• Design electric drive system interfaces and specify the related vehicle systems to meet the vehicle requirements.
• Test electric drive components in Deere high voltage labs
• Support the build, commissioning, and testing of the vehicle integration aspect of the electric drive system
• Test vehicles and systems being used in the end customer application to verify performance and to refine requirements
• Provide technical analysis and design of electric drive components, including electric machines, power conversion electronics, and harnesses
• Design motor control and system control algorithms for electric drives and vehicles
• Simulate electric drive systems and vehicle systems to develop control algorithms and to virtually verify performance prior to hardware availably.
What Skills You Need:
• Excellent communication skills.
• Working knowledge and hands-on experience testing electrical components using standard lab instruments such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, and power supplies. Familiarity with Microsoft Office Excel and Word.
• Familiarity with a symbolic programming language such as Simulink or LabView.
• Experience using modeling tools such as Matlab/Simulink and circuit analysis.
• Experience with electric machines and inverters.
• Enrolled in an Engineering Masters or PhD program. Course work or research with a concentration in an Electric Power field such as electric machines, power electronics, batteries, hybrid vehicles, or dynamics and control.
• Minimum required cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale. (3.4 or higher preferred)
Willing to travel and relocate to any John Deere location in the U.S. Locations may include: • Illinois • Iowa • North Carolina
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Interns receive competitive compensation and are eligible for many of the benefits offered to full-time employees.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Nearest Major Market: Davenport
Nearest Secondary Market: Moline
Job Segment: Intern, Part Time, Seasonal, Engineer, Electrical, Entry Level, Retail, Engineering