At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts ® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
· Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
· Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownershipof getting things done.
· Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Your day to day
Prepare beverages and/or serve food for the customer in a prompt and courteous manner while maintaining a high level of quality and consistency.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Greet guests pleasantly as they approach the bar; promote house drinks and utilize up-selling skills to maximize revenues.
· Obtain, count and secure bartender’s bank; receive cash and credit payments from customers; give accurate change and balance cash drawer at end of shift.
· Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments.
· Prepare beverages requested by customers. Adhere to established pouring standards and drink recipes to provide a consistent product to the guests and to control costs. Coordinate food service with restaurant(s) for bar/lounge guests if applicable.
· Monitor guest behavior and guest alcohol consumption to determine when alcohol service to the guest should cease; notify management of incidents involving excessive alcohol consumption or impaired condition of customers; check identification whenever the age of a guest requesting an alcoholic beverage service is questionable.
· Alert Management of any service and/or safety issues. Make appropriate service recovery gestures according to established guidelines in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
· Set up bar including all liquor, mixers, ice, garnishes, glassware and supplies. Perform pre- and post-shift side-work (empty/fill ice-bins, prepare garnishments, replenish/store snacks, etc.). Requisition all necessary supplies.
· Inventory unused liquor and beverages. Ensure that all liquor is properly secured before, during, and at close of shift.
· Inspect bar daily for cleanliness and attractiveness and inspect all equipment and machinery for proper operation. Sweep and mop bar floor after shift. Wipe down counters, equipment, stools, chairs, tables, and other areas as required.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
What we need from you
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Basic reading, writing, and math skills. Knowledge of liquor brands, beer, wine, champagne, non-alcoholic beverages, designated glassware, preparation methods and garnishments. Formal bartending training preferred. Must meet state legal age requirements. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires the ability to perform the following:
· Handling, carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds (bar ware, carts, boxes, bottles, etc)
· Moving about the bar, lounge and kitchen
· Bending, stooping, kneeling, lifting
· Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with guests, wait staff, cooks, and supervisor.
· Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
· Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when taking orders, describing cocktail items, completing paperwork, etc.
· Basic math skills are frequently used when handling cash and credit.
· May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.