The IBM Cognitive Applications team is seeking innovative and enthusiastic software engineering and design professionals to join our team building the next generation multicloud marketplace platform. If you love working with cutting edge technologies, dynamic and high performing teams, then this is the right next step in advancing your career. You will be challenged to design and develop cloud applications and services leveraging a wide variety of open source, machine learning, and commercial technologies aimed at dramatically expanding the reach of the IBM Cloud to millions of enterprise developers. Our focus on delivering performance and predictability for our customers' most demanding workloads, at global scale and with leadership, efficiency, resiliency and security is the cornerstone of our development model and will result in maintaining IBM's leadership position for years to come.
We are seeking an experienced User Experience Designer with a proven record of delivering irresistible solutions which address our customers' most challenging business problems and opportunities. The ideal candidate will have experience collaborating effectively with Product Management and engineering in agile and lean delivery methodologies. The candidate must demonstrate leadership, technical curiosity, and tenacity to partner with some of the leading technologists in the field of cloud computing.
· Deliver, review and critique the UX Designs of a multi-skilled design team to ensure effective and rich designs (great interaction, visual styling, consistent and appropriate use of voice and tone, etc)
· Work with UX Designers, Visual designers, researchers and product managers to understand user's needs and behaviors for the industries in which they work
· Participate in and lead UX activities (in person and remote) in an Agile environment such as user/design research, interviews and workshops
· Translate findings into usable, useful, effective and efficient user experiences
· Clearly and quickly deliver ideas to cross-functional teams
· Provide information verbally and visually through low and mid-fidelity renderings and clickable prototypes
· Test and validate working hypothesis with users through usability testing of wireframes, clickable prototypes and published product, and participate in design critique
· Work with Visual Designers and Developers to bring concepts to life while maintaining UX best practices
Who You Are
Creative, curious, questioning, open to take and provide critique and have a ton of initiative. Able to focus on design detail and ascertain user value and impact as part of your software experience. You possess experience solving complex design problems for Web interactions or software solutions, and are capable of translating research findings into complex interaction designs that provide usable, effective and efficient experiences to users. Your keen written and verbal communication skills include the ability to articulate alternative approaches.
The ideal candidate has the demonstrated the ability to…
· Produce and enhance low-fidelity sketches and medium fidelity wireframes to facilitate communication of recommended solutions
· Create interactive prototypes
· Tell a meaningful story about the user and great presentation skills
Preferred location for this is Raleigh Durham, NC.
Auto req ID
Role ( Job Role )
State / Province
Primary job category
Design & Offering Management
(0147) International Business Machines Corporation
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
Up to 10% or 1 day a week
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· Portfolio and work samples including branding, user-centered design skills, visualizations of complex experiences such as flows, scenarios, personas, etc. (any fidelity), sketches to mid-fidelity interactions (show your process) and clickable prototypes (any fidelity)
· Solid Technical background
· Hands on Designer Experience
· 3+ years of Demonstrated experience solving complex user problems
· At least 2 years of experience in working in a broad portfolio of related products and/or constitute a complex solution
· Understanding of Design principles and their application
· Examples of beginning and ending interactions (micro interactions) and/or mobile/responsive design considerations
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· Experience designing for accessibility
· Data visualization skills
· Data analysis and statistical analysis experience
· Master's Degree in User Experience Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Science
Secondary Job Category
Early Professional Track
Not Applicable - Professional Hire
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About Business Unit
At IBM Cognitive Applications, we build open applications that unlock the power of data for clients, partners, and developers. Running on top of IBM's unique Hybrid, Multicloud and AI infrastructures, these applications work across horizontal domains and bring our technology to life for end users. Cognitive Applications unit includes: Watson Customer Engagement, Watson IoT, Watson Media and Weather, Talent & Collaboration, and IBM Developer teams
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.