HSBC Bank Canada, a subsidiary of HSBC Holdings plc, is the largest and leading international bank in Canada. HSBC serves customers worldwide through an international network of around 3,800 offices in 66 countries and territories in Europe, Asia, North and Latin America, and the Middle East and North Africa
We help companies and individuals across Canada to manage their finances through three global business lines: Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets, and Retail Banking and Wealth Management.
It’s this global connectivity that you will find yourself inspired and collaborating with colleagues not just locally but also across continents and cultures.
About HSBC Global Asset Management
We are the Canadian office of HSBC Global Asset Management, a firm with well-established businesses in Europe, the Asia-Pacific regional, North America, Latin America and the Middle East. We manage assets for a range of retail and private banks, commercial and corporate clients, and some of the world’s largest institutional investors. As part of the HSBC globally, we leverage a 150-year banking history and harness global expertise and resources to help our clients meet their investment goals.
HSBC Global Asset Management is one of the world’s largest managers of developed- and emerging-market investment strategies and we offer a range of fixed income, equity, multi-asset and liquidity solutions:
Our strong global investment platform supports local teams who share a common investment philosophy founded on a core belief that best-practice investment governance and a well-executed process are key to delivering long-term value to our clients. With operations in 26 countries and territories, our investment teams draw on the local knowledge and expertise of our team of over 600 investment professionals and over 2,300 employees worldwide.
Key Objectives for Senior Fund Operations Specialist:
Assist Manager of Fund Operations in managing the day-to-day administration and settlement functions for the HSBC Mutual and Pooled Funds (“the Funds”). Responsible for outsourced third party oversights for fund accounting and valuation of the Funds. Act as liaison with internal and external parties including fund accountant, custodians and transfer agent.
· Oversee the services provided by outsourced vendors (Fund Accountant, Fund Custodian, Transfer Agency) to ensure efficient and accurate valuations and operations are handled daily for the Funds.
· Assist in developing and implementing processes to monitor external and internal service providers.
· Investigate and resolve valuation issues and ensure these items are properly and timely escalated.
· Consolidate data and prepare report for Management Information reporting purpose on Funds and other areas.
· Ensure sound accounting practices and appropriate tax considerations are employed to deal with complex investment products and accounting policies related to the Funds.
· Review fund information such as reasonableness of the daily Net Asset Values (NAVS), monthly Management Expense Ratios (MERs) and Portfolio Turnovers (PTOs), and income distributions, and highlight any exceptions to manager.
· Oversee the annual income and capital gains distribution process and T3 tax filings for the Funds by maintaining a checklist to ensure all tasks are completed. And work with the Fund Accountant and HSBC Bank Canada (HBCA) Tax to ensure the calculations and income allocations are completed accurately.
· Provide input and review annual and semi-annual financial statements, management reports of fund performance and other regulatory reporting (simplified prospectus, fund facts, annual information form, and statements of investment portfolios) for the Funds. Include working with the Fund Accountant, Tax and other parties to resolve any queries or issues.
· Review expense accruals and appropriate Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) allocation to the Funds.
· Review to ensure overdraft interest charged to Funds are investigated and resolved.
· Work within the assigned responsibilities on supporting new fund launches, closures, merger and sub-advisor changes.
· Assist in developing and implementing new workflow processes and systems enhancements.
· Work with Data Management and Investment Restrictions team to ensure all regulatory/compliance rules/guidelines applicable to the Funds are monitored properly. Escalate to proper channels if a rule cannot be monitored.
· Coverage for tasks in fund administration area as they arise, such as mortgage valuation and cash projection.
· Resolve issues with other Operation teams such as pricing and trade matching issues.
Transfer Agency and Fund custodian:
· Provide assistance in resolving issues relating to Transfer Agency (TA) and custodian settlement.
· Assist in developing and implementing processes to increase efficiency in the daily tasks.
· Complete ad hoc requests and assist with projects as they arise, e.g., fund launches/closures/mergers, sub-advisor changes, audit requirements, system upgrades, new processes.
· Update procedures as required.
· Provide knowledge base in fund operations and settlement processes as the subject matter expert to other business stakeholders.
· Build strong relationships with team mates and other stakeholders by adopting a joined up approach to deliver business requirements at pace and with minimum conflict.
· Build strong relationships with outsourced vendors, the custodian, the teams in Operations, Compliance and Risk to deliver high quality service to all clients.
· Be a change leader in the team. Open to changes and embrace changes.
· Acting as Subject Matter Expert to support the wider business to ensure common and effective solutions are found.
· Contribute to a culture of teamwork and collaboration by sharing knowledge and identifying training opportunities with team members.
· Provide guidance and mentorship to junior staff within the team.
· Ensure operational processes are effective and completed on a timely manner.
· Ensure proper procedures are created and updated.
· Compliance with external regulatory requirements, internal control standards and group compliance policy.
· Timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators.
Knowledge & experience / Qualifications:
· 2+ years of experience in the mutual fund or asset management industry. Experiences in fund accounting and valuation of mutual funds are required.
· Bachelor degree in Finance or Accounting, or working towards accounting designation.
· Sound knowledge of various investment products and accounting principles. Completion in CSC (or equivalent training) an asset.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
· Strong judgmental skills to identify and resolve problems and make good decisions.
· Excellent organization skills.
· Ability to prioritize and multi-ask effectively.
· Demonstrated financial reporting/analytical/problem solving skills.
· Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Word and working knowledge of Access.
· Excellent attention to details and ability to work under pressure and deliver on tight timelines.
· Ability to work and adapt in a fast changing environment with flexibility with work load when required.
· Ability to work autonomously, delegate and plan appropriately, as well as work collaboratively with various groups to drive high quality results.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC Canada is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
If this is not the ideal role for you, we invite you to sign up to our talent community so that we can update you about job opportunities and career events in your area of interest. We are always looking for people with purpose and ambition who can help us build the bank for the future.
We encourage all Indigenous peoples of North America and Persons with Disabilities to self-identify in their applications. In addition, we invite you to reach out to Matt Woods, our Diversity Recruitment Relationship Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for support during the selection process.