HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and where their opinions count.
We want to build a culture where our employees are comfortable in bringing their whole self to work, regardless of gender, age, sexuality, ethnicity, disability, religious belief, background, and any other aspect of personal difference.
"HSBC employees are commited to act with corageous integrity and standing firm for what is right. We are reliable, open to different ideas and cultures and connected with customers, community, regulators and with each other."
SUBDIRECTOR REGIONAL MODEL RISK MANAGEMENT & MODEL RISK STEWARDSHIP
(STRONG CANDIDATE IDENTIFIED)
The Senior Manager – Model Risk Management & Model Risk Stewardship is responsible for managing the Regional MRM activities and team members, in support of the Regional Head of MRM and Risk Steward. This includes carrying out model approval for the region and for directing and liaising with the IMR Global Centre of Excellence, as well as carrying out MRG activities specifically for their region. The role holder will support the Regional Head of MRM and Risk Steward in their oversight and engagement with all Regional, Country and Entity level senior stakeholders for model related risk stewardship within the region they are responsible for, ensuring that strong risk management is embedded, enabling safe growth. Regional Model Risk Stewards are independent of the commercial risk-taking activities of the first line. They monitor regional compliance with the globally set policies and guidelines for managing risks related to models, and provide advice and guidance to support these policies. They also ensure that local regulatory requirements are adhered to and provide effective guidance to the region and country sites, as well as challenging the first line to ensure that its risk management activities are working effectively.
· The role holder will manage the team in support of the Regional Model Risk Steward with their responsibilities for working with Risk & Control Owners to support active model risk management across their region.
· Provide subject matter expertise, advice, guidance, and effective challenge to the Risk and Control Owners.
· Support in cascading the Risk Appetite, and oversee risk appetite monitoring within the region.
· Monitor local compliance with globally set policies that outline the key principles and minimum requirements applicable to the management of their risk.
· Apply the Risk and Control Library locally including minimum control standards, with input from Risk Owners, Business Service and Control Owners, specifying key risks and key controls, and providing guidance on control monitoring expectations.
· Recommend RCA scoping, and challenge where this is not appropriately applied in the RCA
· Challenge Risk & Control Owners on risk and control management, including inherent risk, residual risk, control effectiveness ratings, issues, actions and events.
· Report on regional risk & control profile, including impacts of external environment changes, emerging risks and changes to the business strategy.
· Work with the local lines of business to understand and gather emerging risks by country and region to feed into the Global T&E and Risk Maps, ensuring they remain within regional appetite.
· Overseeing, escalating and providing guidance on the identification of conduct impacts across their risk types and activities owned by the first line, including where control weaknesses and risk events impact the delivery of good outcomes
Ideal candidate profile
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
• Significant experience of model risk management, governance and model development
• Significant experience of local regulators and regulations.
• Significant experience of managing senior stakeholder and external communications
• Significant knowledge and expertise of local market and HSBC's different business lines
• Strong leadership, matrix management skills
• Proven ability to develop strong networks with key stakeholders at all points in a matrix structure, creating an ability to execute task at hand with minimum conflict
• A change agent who challenges the status quo diplomatically constructively and positively in order to lead relevant strategies that enable safe growth of HSBC
• Providing Expert Advice and Robust Challenge
• Delivering Model Risk Management Policies
• Managing Model Risks and Controls
• Utilising and Applying Model Risk Management in Context
• Drives for excellence
• Robust diplomacy skills
• Expert problem solving skills
• Tenacious and persistent
• Commercially aware
• Able to deliver change through people
• Maximises performance of people
• Stakeholder management
• Business knowledge
• Objective and robust challenge
• Business and regulatory knowledge
• Risk management expertise
• Technical knowledge and expertise