Luanda, Johannesburg, Lagos, Accra
GE Gas Power
Gas Power Legal
Angola, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa
This role will lead the Gas Power Compliance function for Sub-Saharan Africa, including all aspects of prevention, detection, and response of compliance issues. This role will report to the Chief Compliance Officer for Gas Power with dotted line to the Executive General Counsel, SSA. The role will engage with business leaders and managers at all levels of the organization to influence culture, implement our compliance program and ensure an environment that fosters open reporting and integrity.
· As the Compliance leader and subject matter expert, this role is responsible for implementing standards, and procedures to ensure that the compliance program throughout the organization and region is efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting, and correcting noncompliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies. The key focus is to build, maintain and continuously improve the Compliance Culture for GE Gas Power business in the region.
· Other key responsibilities are:
· Provide guidance, advice and/or training and educational programs, to improve business’ understanding of related laws, policies and procedures
· Support the Gas Power Compliance Officer to lead improvement of processes and programs and ensure that the business implements and abides by our compliance program
· Identify, highlight and assess key business risks in the region. Create realistic improvements and solutions to those business risks identified.
· Implement all enterprise integrity program updates and improvements identified by the business global compliance team to prevent, detect and respond to compliance issues.
· Own compliance risk assessments and development and implementation of mitigation plans at the Gas Power level for Sub-Saharan Africa
· Implement an effective compliance training and communication plan suited for the region and for employees at all levels of the organization, including sharing lessons learned and best practices.
· Review consortium partner appointments, third party due diligence from a compliance perspective where required.
· Partner with internal team members to run cross-functional, business team focus groups in order to learn about current business processes, operational environment and be able to apply that knowledge to build and implement future risk mitigating control
· Use influencing skills to help gain buy-in from business owners on new processes and procedures
· Coordinating efforts related to audits, reviews and examinations
· Preparing and presenting regular Compliance Review Boards in conjunction with Business Leaders, which will be attended by key business leaders across the region.
· Support Gas Power’s open reporting program for SSA so that it maintains a high standard of excellence and responsiveness to employee concerns
· Coordinate with broader GE Compliance and Corporate teams on Company-wide objectives, standards, and initiatives
· Continually review and evaluate laws and regulations and their impact on Gas Power and the region.
· Escalate any potential compliance issues and work cross-functionally to resolve the issues.
· Assist with all other compliance-related duties and special projects as identified by the individual or as assigned by management
· This person will be at the forefront of cultural change. They need to have a demonstrated track record of being able to drive change in a large organization, integrating large organizations, dynamically communicate the need for compliance to leaders, and have a track record of developing, implementing and growing an open reporting system.
· LLB, Juris Doctorate or equivalent from an accredited law school, with at least 10 years post qualification experience; at least 5 of which must be within a large multinational corporation in areas such as Legal, Compliance, Audit, Quality, or Risk Management.
· Member in good standing with local Bar Association.
· Knowledge and experience with a corporate compliance policy, integrity investigations and audit functions. Experience in dealing with compliance issues, such as: remote site risks, controllership, FCPA, anti-money laundering and privacy.
· Strong oral and written communication skills at all levels of the organization.
· Effective command of the English language. Fluency in either French or Portuguese is mandatory.
· Experience working and living in the Sub-Saharan Africa region. Local work authorization required.
· Ability to travel as and when required.
· Highest degree of personal commitment to Integrity is required
· Demonstrable computer literacy with specific ability to use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, internet and internet-based applications.
· Credible compliance ambassador: able to influence and drive Compliance culture globally
· Executive Communication: ability to simplify the complex
· Ability to make tough decisions, take balanced risk, and to strongly push back to senior management
· Pragmatic, action oriented and able to operate in a fast paced environment
· Deep domain knowledge in key compliance risk areas (e.g., the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, turn key projects, third parties, public procurement, competition law)
· Deep knowledge of GE Compliance program and Culture
· Experience overseeing compliance investigations
· Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work effectively at all levels of the organization
· Proven leadership experience in a global environment and ability to successfully function as a senior member of a management team
· Ability to manage multiple matters in a global environment, set priorities and drive projects to conclusion in an extremely fast paced environment
· Strong oral executive-level communication
· Solid judgment, clear thinker and business sense
· Ability to create an environment of continual learning, and to change the way the compliance is working to be simpler and more adaptive
· Ability to work horizontally to deliver outcomes
· Energy Industry experience & understanding complex projects
GE Power is a world leader in power generation with deep domain expertise that helps customers deliver electricity from a wide spectrum of fuel sources. We are transforming the electricity industry with the digital power plant, the world’s largest & most efficient gas turbine, full balance of plant solutions and our data-leveraging software. Our innovative technologies and digital offerings help make power and water more affordable, reliable, accessible and sustainable.
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
Become a fan of ourFacebook page. Receive job and event notifications by becoming a member of theGE Talent Community . Stay up to date on what’s happening at GE around the globe by checking out theGE Careers Blog .