GE Renewable Energy
Renewable Energy Grid Solutions
As an EID Intern you will report to within the Controls Software Department. The Controls Software Department consist of 5 teams; Project Leadership, Control System Engineering, Software Architecture, Software Design and Validation. The successful candidate(s) will be part of a highly motivated and dynamic team of engineers working on the development of controls software for LCC and VSC HVDC Control Systems.
The development of such control systems is technically challenging and involves a variety of engineering disciplines, contribution through teamwork and an innovative approach. Within the Controls Software Department we offer the opportunity to tailor your placement to meet your interests, which is either to focus on one discipline within the department or to participate in a rotational program to get insight into multiple or all disciplines.
· Adhere to the delivery & quality processes and guidelines
Project Leadership Team:
· Support project planning & execution
· Support budget control
· Assist in gated delivery process (presentations)
· Assist in progress reporting & stakeholder management
· Assist in sprint planning & retrospectives
· Support scrum master
Control Systems Engineering Team:
· Support in control system requirements capture (Doors)
· Support in control system documentation
· Assist in PSCAD/RSCAD modelling
· Assist in system studies
· Assist MATLAB to PSCAD conversion
Software Architecture Team:
· Support in software architecture requirements capture (Doors)
· Assist in software architectural design (Enterprise Architect)
· Assist in Integration System Test (IST) specifications
· Assist in IST test result analysis
Software Design Team:
· Support in software design requirements capture (Doors)
· Prepare software design documentation, including unit test and integration test specifications
· Implement the software designs in Matlab/Simulink or C (project dependent)
· Perform unit and integration testing
· Support IST testing
· Support in the creation of factory system tests to validate/verify the software implementation aligns to the design and the requirements
· Assist in the creation of the S-Curve test report
· Assist in the design and implementation of automated test scripts (Python)
· Execute factory system test and record the results
The candidate will have completed 2 years of degree level in a related science such as electrical engineering, power electronics engineering, controls engineering, computer sciences. However, this is not as important as a proven track record and evidence that you have the mind-set and abilities to perform the role.
Skills and Experience:
· 2:1 degree grade or above (or equivalent knowledge or experience) predicted or obtained in
· Degree in Electronics Engineering, Power Electronics Engineering, Controls Engineering or Computer Sciences
· Good written and verbal communication skills – there should be little or no spelling and grammatical errors in their application
· Eligibility to undertake placement - the internship is for 12 months and will begin between June and August 2020, all candidates should confirm on their application that they are available for this time period
· Some knowledge of C Programming Language
· Some knowledge of Matlab and/or simulink
· Basic academic knowledge is sufficient; the rest will need to be taught on the job – candidate needs to be passionate and willing to learn
· Flexibility in working hours
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working
· Interpersonal and communication skills
· Self-motivating, proactive and results driven approach
· Problem-solving and root cause identification skills
· Able to work to deadlines with good quality
· Proficient in the English language, written and verbal. Other languages are bonus
GE Renewable Energy is a $15 billion business which combines one of the broadest portfolios in the renewable energy industry to provide end-to-end solutions for our customers demanding reliable and affordable green power. Combining onshore and offshore wind, blades, hydro, storage, utility-scale solar, and grid solutions as well as hybrid renewables and digital services offerings, GE Renewable Energy has installed more than 400+ gigawatts of clean renewable energy and equipped more than 90 percent of utilities worldwide with its grid solutions. With nearly 40,000 employees present in more than 80 countries, GE Renewable Energy creates value for customers seeking to power the world with affordable, reliable and sustainable green electrons.
Follow us atGE Renewable Energy .
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
Become a fan of ourFacebook page. Receive job and event notifications by becoming a member of theGE Talent Community . Stay up to date on what’s happening at GE around the globe by checking out theGE Careers Blog .