Our National Tax and EY EDGE practice is made up of a team of professionals providing dedicated tax technical services to both US and global clients. EDGE stands for Exceptional Delivery and Growth Engine because this team operates in a technical environment with deep process and service delivery experience that distinguishes EY in the marketplace.
When you join EY EDGE, you’ll be at the heart of EY’s critical mission to build a better working world by applying your knowledge, skills and experience in assisting clients in meeting their business objectives. You will learn, grow and contribute — building new relationships and discovering the satisfaction that comes with producing high-quality, valued work and advice.
Your Key Responsibilities
You’re likely to spend your time on a diverse array of projects, responsibilities and tasks,supporting client engagements by participating in day-to-day interactions with team members, providing a quality work product and driving delivery of services to meet deadlines.You will serve as a trusted advisor and role model for our people across multiple teams, research tax law issues, provide advice and assistance to help clients understand risks and potential needs for additional tax advisory or compliance services.
· Performing tax research and preparing written tax advice
· Preparing 1099 tax information statements and tax returns, including complex Forms 1041 and state income tax returns for trusts and estates
· Supervising a team of Senior Analysts and Analysts to provide for timely, accurate production of tax information statements, tax returns and related reporting
· Managing effective long-term relationships with our clients, understanding their unique needs to provide tailored services
· Reviewing and interpreting wills and trust documents to determine fiduciary tax reporting requirements, confirm beneficiary allocations, and identify matters that may require additional research and review by a subject-matter professional such as determination of state tax nexus and application of state trust statutes for income and principal purposes
· Recommendingproper tax treatment of various transactions, learning to identify, review and confirm accuracy in tax reporting
· Translating complex data from a range of sources into client-ready insights and deliverables to support informed decision-making concerning required tax reporting
· Coach, mentor and motivate client-serving teams
· Effectively lead engagement teams to manage production of tax deliverables in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
You will support the Fiduciary/Trust Tax Services practice with the preparation and delivery of tax information statements, tax returns and related reporting for agency, custody and fiduciary accounts for tax compliance engagements with banks, wealth management firms, trust companies and law firms. You’llbe working in a highly collaborative culture, where listening to and sharing information with colleagues is an essential part of the role.
Skills and Attributes for Success
· Collaborate with clients and colleagues to analyze tax issues, determine alternative methods of problem-solving and arrive at recommendations
· Support Managers, Senior Managers and Partners, Principles and Executive Directors with reconciling returns, e-filing returns, and validating data in the tax system
· Lead team communications with client tax liaisons, client trust administration teams and client trust officers to gather required information, to share information to support informed decision-making, and obtain instruction or authorization necessary for timely, accurate production of tax information statements, tax returns and related reporting
· Managing billing and collections for tax compliance and related services and participating in the process of contract renewals and new business pursuits
· Communicate complex tax issues to colleagues, clients and non-tax professionals to enable evaluation and review of tax compliance requirements central to fulfilling fiduciary tax reporting obligations
· Responsible for training less experienced team members on administrative tasks and tasks supporting the tax compliance process
· Act as the primary point of contact for day-to-day client relations for assigned engagements and demonstrate professional discretion by appropriately escalating complex tax and client relationship matters to senior management and subject-matter professionals, coordinating efforts, and managing expectations with regard to timing of response and resolution
· Routine interaction with management and senior management, i.e., trained, coached and mentored by practice leaders with autonomy increasing with experience and demonstrated competence in performing essential functions of the job
· Manage, coach and develop a team of junior tax professionals, review work and help confirm team members have the knowledge, tools and opportunities they need to excel
· Build effective long-term relationships and manage workflow effectively with our clients, and understand their unique needs to provide tailored services
· Manage engagement deliverables and team resources to achieve timely and accurate delivery of tax compliance services while effectively managing engagement economics
To qualify for the role, you must have
· Bachelor degree or equivalent experience (Accounting, Business, Finance or equivalent degree preferred)
· Minimum 3 years of experience in a professional services or tax services organization and preparing federal and state fiduciary income tax returns
· Proficient in computer software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, trust accounting systems and tax software applications, including ONESOURCE™ Trust Tax
· Experience preparing income tax returns with complex pass-through investments, and reading and interpreting trust agreements
· Ability to work effectively both independently and with a team, assist with a variety of projects of varying degrees of complexity
· Knowledge of taxation, trusts and estates, wealth planning and fiduciary income taxation
· Demonstrated technical experience in fiduciary accounting matters
· Build effective relationships with our clients, understand their unique needs to provide tailored services; manage workflow effectively to comply with clients’ needs and expectations and to complete special projects
· Excellent organizational and verbal/written communication skills
· Experience preparing and/or reviewing income tax returns with complex pass-through investments, including family limited partnerships, publicly traded partnerships and hedge funds
· Experience managing people and projects
· Commit to periodic travel (10%–15%)
Ideally, you’ll also have
· CPA or EA certificationor membership in The Bar desired, but not required
· Enhanced knowledge of tax compliance, information reporting rules, fiduciary and/or income tax law and concepts required to prepare US federal and state tax information statements and tax returns
· Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
· The ability to adapt your work style to work with both internal and client team members
What we look for
We’re interested in tax professionals with a genuine interest in providing outstanding services to some of the world’s most influential people. Working with people from all backgrounds, from executives and entrepreneurs to investors and families, you’ll use your experience and status as a trusted advisor to maintain and further our reputation for excellence.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, a minimum of three weeks of vacation plus ten observed holidays and three paid personal days, and a range of programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
· Support and coachingfrom some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
· Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
· The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we hire and develop the most passionate people in their field to help build a better working world. This starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. So that whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today
EY provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.