ENGIE Laborelec is a leading expertise and research centre in electrical power technology. Drawing on the skills of 240 highly specialised engineers and technicians, the company is active on the whole electricity value chain and backs a large set of customers in the fields of generation, transmission, distribution, storage and final use of electricity, with a particular focus upon the energy transition and the 3 D's - decentralisation, decarbonisation and digitalisation.
All forms of electricity generation come within our capabilities, whether centralised or decentralised, from fossil and nuclear to renewables technologies. Directly or indirectly, we also work for a large array of other customers, including grid operators, large industries, SME's, cities, regions or residential prosumers.
With a strong focus on high value delivery for our customers, we combine expert knowledge and operational experience with state-of-the-art analysis and measurement capabilities to provide operational research and development services, specialised expertise and tailor-made global solutions. We guarantee the independence and objectivity of our solutions and recommendations.
Established in 1962 to support electricity companies with a wide range of specialised services, Laborelec is today a cooperative company, with ENGIE and independent grid operators as shareholders. Laborelec has a global presence, with activities in more than 60 countries and offices in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Chile and Abu Dhabi.
One of the most important tasks of the Laborelec Competence Centre & Laboratories Department involves performing non-destructive tests (NDTs) to check the critical components of nuclear power plants and conventional thermal power stations among others with a view to detecting and monitoring damage phenomena at a very early stage.
We perform certain specific tests ourselves but in some situations our department observes and qualifies the NDT programmes offered by other specialist companies. In some cases we develop new and innovative inspection techniques ourselves for niche applications. A high degree of expertise in damage phenomena, materials science and the NDT techniques themselves is always essential.
Our team performs the following tasks (in order):
· monitoring the quality control of NDT inspections carried out by third parties (around 60%), mainly for larger (nuclear) power plants;
· researching, at the customer's request, new developments in techniques and the testing of certain applications using both conventional NDT methods and alternative techniques such as hyperspectral imaging, thermography, radar and so on, always for industrial applications (around 15%);
· developing our own inspection techniques for very specific niche applications (around 15%);
· assisting with RCAs, whether on site, in our laboratory or elsewhere (around 10%).
In this role, you will participate in all the above tasks to a greater or lesser extent for both projects relating to nuclear power plants in Belgium, and national and international assignments for conventional power plants or renewable energy parks.
As a project leader, you will coordinate (both technically and organisationally) the tasks assigned to you. This involves drawing up a schedule, managing budgets and monitoring the technical quality of inspections. In many cases, you will manage and carry out inspections independently. You will also deal with customers: developing a task's scope, preparing an offer, and maintaining close contact while the service is being performed and afterwards.
You will help to design and develop solutions to our customers' NDT problems and will keep abreast of new developments in the field. You will carry out projects assigned to the team, whether theoretical (studies) or practical (laboratory or on site).
We are looking for a team player who is not afraid to accept new challenges and solve non-standard NDT issues.
· You are an engineer with several (at least five) years' relevant experience in non-destructive testing.
· You are passionate about technology.
· You have excellent analytical skills, are pragmatic and have a good understanding of real situations.
· You are fluent in Dutch, French and English, or believe you will be soon.
· You are flexible and willing to travel to perform work on site (frequent trips to nuclear sites in Belgium and a few trips abroad lasting around one to two weeks).
· You are articulate and assertive: you communicate easily and openly with all levels of the managerial hierarchy and also with third parties and the authorities.
· You can manage your tasks independently and are punctual and able to cope with stress.
· You are a team player who naturally shares knowledge and experience with colleagues and asks for help when appropriate.
· You are creative and critical and enjoy solving new problems with a view to helping the customer.
· ISO9712 Level 2 ultrasonic testing (phased array/TOFD)
· SO9712 Level 2 eddy current testing
· Bonus: ISO9712 qualifications in radiographic testing, penetrant and magnetic testing, others
Due to the high level of technical expertise involved in this position, experience in some of the following domains or techniques would be an advantage:
· familiarity with the Belgian nuclear power plants, legislation/regulations, technical specifications and the relevant authorities (the Authorised Inspection Agency (AIA), Federal Agency for Nuclear Control (FANC), Bel V) - experience of working with these organisations would be a bonus;
· having Nuclear clearance is a plus;;
· knowledge of the operation of pressurised water reactors (PWRs);
· familiarity with general metallurgy and safety mechanisms;
· familiarity with ASME standards for non-destructive testing in nuclear power plants;
· knowledge of composite materials or concrete.
· international experience.
ENGIE Laborelec offers you:
· An exciting career in a leading research and competence center, with prospects within ENGIE, the international energy player of which we are a part
· The possibility of joining a great team of NDT experts who propel and support each other
· To be in the front row on the Zero Carbon Transition and the road to green energy
· A competitive salary supplemented with many benefits
· A healthy work/life balance
Your HR contact person
Damien Colmant - firstname.lastname@example.org
Workplace: ENGIE Laborelec - Rodestraat 125 - 1630 Linkebeek
· Posting Date: Jun 22, 2018