We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine in 2020 as one of America’s Best Employers. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Scientist I - ATAC (Advanced Testing Advanced Characterization) (2001609) – Research Triangle Park, NC
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking a professional like you to serve as an Entomologist in the Global Insecticide Research Group (APR/IA) at BASF's research facility in Research Triangle Park, NC.
You will be part of a team that is a key resource for the development of new insecticidal products at BASF. The team’s task is to thoroughly characterize new insecticidal products in all relevant agronomic aspects and to manage the lab-to-field transition for new actives in our research pipeline.
As a member of this team, you will efficiently plan and execute trial programs in a lab, greenhouse and field trial environment. Compounds evaluated in this program range from early research compounds up to registered market products.
It will be your task to carry out trial work programs independently under supervision; from planning of the trial set-up, through execution of the trial work, to a thorough evaluation and reporting of the results. The execution of the trials involves the use of plants and living insects as well as the proper handling of chemicals, including research compounds of unknown toxicity. You will contribute to the team’s success by developing new methodologies and incorporating new technologies into the team’s repertoire.
This position allows for flexible scheduling, with the occasional weekend or holiday work. You will need to be willing to work with compounds of unknown toxicity in a lab, greenhouse and field environment. For this reason, you must pass a physical and be capable of wearing a half mask respirator.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
For mula for Success
· Leveraging your education in Biology, Agricultural Science, or Applied Entomology and your practical work experience in an agricultural field environment, you will be the team’s key resource in the areas of field trial execution and seed/soil applied insecticides.
· Demonstrating your knowledge and experience in Entomology and your working experience with whole insects and plants, you will contribute to the team by supporting/conducting the field trials assigned to the team, which comprises: application of research compounds with the appropriate PPE, infestation, assessment and field preparation/maintenance/cleaning.
· Your willingness to do physically demanding work on a regular basis under the typical local climate during the field season will be essential as you allot more than 50% of your work hours under the outdoor field conditions during the field trial season.
· Your effective communication skills will serve you well as you communicate efficiently within and between teams (ATAC and SSS lab) and contribute to seed/soil applied insecticide projects across teams. You will also use these skills as you communicate within the team and potentially with colleagues in other functions of our organization.
· Utilizing your robust analytical skills, you will analyze the results of your work and provide meaningful recommendations for future activities in the specific projects.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.