We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2019. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Product Development Scientist - Lubricants (1903700) – Tarrytown, NY
Where the Chemistry Happens
Transportation Lubricant division of BASF, Tarrytown, NY facility, is seeking a self-starter, motivated and enthusiastic professional like you to play a key role in the planning, design, and execution of research activities and experiments to accomplish project objectives. You will be relied on to provide knowledge and expertise in achieving research targets, interpreting results, and reporting them to key stakeholders.
Qualifications – NOTE: Not all positions are eligible for cross-regional relocation/work authorization. Cross regional is defined as movement between countries (e.g. Canada to U.S.).
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success
· Leveraging your master’s degree or higher education in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, or related scientific discipline (with > 6 years’ relevant experience) and your R&D experience in lubricant chemistry and technology, you will conceptualize new projects and programs while setting a research direction that provides innovation and breakthrough advantages for the business.
· Your advanced knowledge of the lubricant formulation chemistry (base oils, additives etc.) standardized lubricant tests, commercialization of lubricant products will be vital in developing new axle and transmission fluids to address customer needs.
· Leveraging your automotive lubricant experience and your commitment to customers will be a valued asset as you will develop relationships with OEMs, Tier 1 and package houses suppliers to source additional know and understand key customers in the industry served, what they value/need, while participating as an active listener and translate customer needs into a product
· Demonstrating your project management and communication skills (written and verbal), you will lead a diverse team of cross-functional professionals across business lines to advance scientific, technical, and process expertise throughout the organization.
· Demonstrating your entrepreneurial mindset, and resourcefulness with strong follow-through, you will drive innovation by leading several high-profile projects concurrently to deliver profitable growth in line with the unit strategy.
· Successfully engaging inside and outside the organization, you will collaborate with individuals over geographical and functional boundaries.
· Demonstrating your strong capabilities in project planning, oversight and training, you will identify opportunities, establish plans, organize and commit to deliverables to drive the long-term success of a discipline, scientific field, product, process, system or technology
· Applying Six Sigma methodology, statistical techniques, and stage gate process disciplines, you will demonstrate the capability to handle increasing levels of complexity and ambiguity
· Serving as a role model, you will champion a Zero Incident mindset while maintaining a safe working environment.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.