Description de l'offre
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine in 2020 as one of America’s Best Employers. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Fermentation Scientist (2100178) – San Diego, CA
Where the Chemistry Happens
The fermentation and recovery team at BASF enzymes is hiring a scientist with experience in high throughput screening/scale down, microbial physiology characterization and fermentation process development. You need to be a hardworking, technically proficient, enthusiastic bioprocess scientist to develop scale down models for enzyme screening and expression. You will collaborate with several other scientific teams in molecular biology, enzyme engineering, biochemistry, HTP screening, analytical, process development and scale-up to achieve project goals.
This is an excellent opportunity for you to demonstrate your hands-on experience with bench-scale fermentation and or plate-based cultivation methods, as well as your strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Although not required, any experience you have in experiment design (DOE), statistical analysis of technical data, fermentation digitalization and/or automation is preferred. Knowledge in protein biochemistry and basic molecular biology principles and strong mechanical orientation is also highly desired.
This position offers the opportunity to work in a global multidisciplinary team in a challenging and dynamic environment.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success
· Leveraging your education in Bioprocess Engineering, Microbiology, Biological Science, Engineering or a related field and your relevant practical/industrial experience (e.g. hands-on experience in fermentation screening, characterization and optimization), you will transfer principles from bench-scale fermentation to design, develop and optimize small scale plate based high throughput screening efforts to improve enzyme production.
· Demonstrating your strong understanding of fermentation technology and microbial physiology, as well as your experience in plate based high throughput fermentation development, you will develop and optimize various fermentation processes with bacteria, yeasts and fungi at different scales including plate-based assays, miniaturized fermenter system and bench-scale reactors.
· Your strong data analysis skills will enable you to analyze, interpret and report large data sets generated in fermentation using various data analysis tools and integrate fermentation process control and data collection into the global digitalization efforts.
· Collaborating closely and effectively with members of process development, strain development, biochemistry and analytical teams, you will ensure the development of a robust high throughput screening fermentation platform.
· Applying your deep knowledge of bioprocess engineering principles and familiarity with fermentation systems across different scales (plates, miniaturized fermenters, bench top fermenters and large-scale manufacturing), you will maintain up-to date information with scientific theories and principles and continually develop skill sets for new technologies and methods in the fields of fermentation and bioprocessing. Your effective communication and interpersonal skills will serve you well as you actively participate in project and technical meetings to critically evaluate projects, as well as in cross functional teams and product development teams with business units. Employing your solid organizational skills, you will maintain laboratory documentation in accordance to required scientific, regulatory and intellectual property requirements. Your strong affinity to lab work will be a valued asset as you prepare and follow SOPs and safety protocols. Utilizing your computer proficiency, you will prepare scientific reports and presentations as required. Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.