The AXA Group
The AXA Group, a worldwide leader in Financial Protection, supports and advises its customers, individuals and businesses at every stage of their lives by meeting their needs for products and insurance, pension, savings and wealth transmission.
The headquarters of AXA Group, based in Paris 8th, brings together the Group's corporate activities. It coordinates the various entities with the Group's strategy, and is responsible for managing international projects. The peculiarity of the seat lies particularly in the presence of a strong international culture (37 nationalities).
Aware of the challenges, AXA is a responsible and innovative Group that is constantly redefining standards to better serve its customers and employees.
The internship will be based at the AXA Group Risk Management (GRM) department.
AXA GRM brings together multidisciplinary high-level teams composed of actuaries, engineers, PhDs and financial analysts, based in Paris (65 people), Zurich (15 people) and Madrid (20 people).
The Natural Hazards and Reinsurance Team of AXA GRM is looking for an intern for 4 to 6 months . The intern will join a dynamic 12-members team dedicated to the modeling and monitoring of the CAT risks borne by the company.
Role And Responsibilities
Usually occurring in summer, hail is a phenomenon linked to thunderstorms and has a major impact on European entities of the Group. The objective of the internship is twofold
· Better understand this phenomenon and investigate weather conditions that are prone to the development of hailstorms – severe thunderstorms.
· Participate in the develop ment of a model able to take into account the vulnerability of a portfolio to derive a loss for the European portfolios of AXA.
The steps that are envisaged are
· Review the literature on the subject and get familiar with the data that will be used for the project
· Analyze historical hail events , induced losses and the surrounding weather conditions
· I mplement a methodology that generates stochastic hail event s s
· Work on clai ms data to derive vulnerability curves
· Test the model on a scope of AXA entities
Beyond the possibility to get to know how NatCat risk is assessed and modelled within a leading insurance company, the intern will have the opportunity to be immersed within R&D activities and to work within an environment of technical excellence.
Ideal candidate profile
Suitable candidates would come from a master's degree in actuarial statistics, computer science, mathematics or equivalent (engineering schools…) with interest for academic research.
Candidates should have strong analytical mindset, strong programming skills ( R or python) as well as good communication skills to be able to work as part of a team.