The Executive Assistant (EA) provides support and reports directly to the General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer (SVP) of Aviva Canada and subsidiaries. In addition, the EA will, provide administrative support to (a) the Legal team; and (b) the Board and Board Committees as directed by the Corporate Secretary. The role serves as the primary point of contact and liaison for internal and external customers on all matters pertaining to the Legal Department.
The EA performs highly diverse administrative and project focused duties, which by nature of the position involves high level contacts and exposure to confidential material necessitating the use of tact, diplomacy, discretion and judgment. The candidate must have proven skills to manage internal and external relationships, work with senior executives, external customers, and board members. The candidate should also have proven expertise in prioritizing and multi-tasking, as well as the ability to remain poised and focused in a fast-paced working environment.
This is an ideal position for a talented, career EA with outstanding communication skills who works well under pressure, is a self-starter with good communication skills, is passionate about delivering strategic value and wants to work in a dynamic, fast-moving and collaborative team environment.
Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the SVP or his/her team including but not limited to:
· Managing calendars and appointments of the SVP and the Corporate Secretary
· Completing expense reports for the SVP and the Corporate Secretary and monitors the Legal Department’s budget spend.
· Interacting with Finance on expense reports for the processing of all invoices
· composing and preparing correspondence as required on behalf of the SVP including drafting acknowledgement letters.
· Arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas including compiling agenda and documents for travel-related meetings and attending to travel arrangements and accommodations.
· Anticipates technology and resource requirements for the Department managing critical aspects of assigned tasks or deliverables that facilitate the General Counsel and his/her department’s effectiveness
· Communicates directly with those inside and outside the organization on behalf of the SVP or his/her Senior Leadership Team (“SLT”) on matters related to the SVP’s and Legal Department’s initiatives, always acting with professionalism and integrity and demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
· Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the Legal Department and manages a variety of special projects for the SVP or his/her leadership team members, some of which may have organizational impact.
· Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the SVP or his team, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response and redirect when appropriate. Works closely and effectively with the SVP or his/her senior team to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
· Available to provide administrative support to the SVP on any ad hoc requests that may be of confidential and time-sensitive in nature.
· Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
· Assists in coordinating the agenda of team meetings and off-sites, and all-staff meetings.
· Maintenance of the Ariba Legal Contract database.
· Available to assume any additional responsibilities within the scope of the position as may be assigned by the SVP from time to time.
· The Incumbent will work closely with the Corporate Secretary to provide administrative support to the Corporate Secretary for all Board of Director and Board Committee, including but not limited to the following:
· Anticipates materials, technology resources and security needs (including security passes) required for Board and Board Committee meetings.
· Maintain an updated itinerary and attendance records of the Board and Board Committee Meetings working in conjunction with the Corporate Secretary.
· Responsible for transportation, accommodation and logistics administration for all Board members and the meetings (including as required for meetings held overseas).
· Responsible for attending to all catering and refreshment needs for the Board and Board Committee needs in conjunction with the Corporate Secretary.
· Liaises directly with members of the Board and their EAs or designated contacts on all Board logistics and expense reimbursement requirements.
· Receives, reviews and oversees the timely and accurate reimbursement of each Board member’s expenses relating to the meetings.
· Responsible for ensuring on-time payment of director’s fees as directed by the Corporate Secretary
· Work collaboratively with the Executive Assistants of the Chairman of the Board and the President and CEO of Aviva Canada on co-ordinating the Board Dinner and logistics as well as the calendar invites to Board and Board Committee meetings.
· Available to quickly assist in urgent and time-sensitive issues related to board and board meetings as they may arise from time to time.
· Pro-actively contribute to the planning of the Board and Board Committee meetings requirements demonstrating the initiative to take on new assigned tasks as required by the Corporate Secretary.
· The successful candidate must be available to attend and facilitate off-site board meetings.
· The Incumbent should have the ability to deploy his/her effective communication and influencing skills to foster a smooth, efficient, energetic environment and enable “fun place to work” approach within the Legal Department.
· Related University Degree, College Diploma or equivalent experience.
· At least 5+ years of experience supporting senior executives, preferably in a large organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Pro-Active , results-driven and community oriented
· Strong ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. Interpersonal skills working with Executives and teams – establishing credibility, trust and support of the Executive Team as well as internal/external partners and customers.
· Experience handling highly confidential and sensitive information.
· Organizational skills, ability to work independently with little direction, proactive in anticipating needs
· Must be an independent worker, proactive and solution oriented, looking for ways to value and assist the team
· Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-moving, dynamic environment
· Ability to manage conflicts independently with maturity and confidence and to assist the SVP and his/her department to foster a positive work environment.
· Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.