Are you interested in building the next generation, cloud-based commerce system for AWS that’s used by millions of customers worldwide? Are you excited by the idea of building systems that operate at Petabyte scale? Do you want to make an impact at a $10-billion-a-year business? Then we need to talk!
Computing AWS bills, at its core, is a challenging, distributed systems problem that requires calculations performed over trillions of usage records, millions of accounts, and hundreds of thousands of different rates. Furthermore, our applications must meet strict requirements for accuracy and once-and-only-once processing. This role is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical team in Seattle, WA or New York, NY working with some of the best and brightest engineers and technical managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
Our Support Engineers focus on:
· Investigating new ways to improve operations
· Drive prioritization of operational issues and automate solutions to recurring issues.
· Validate system changes including running manual and automated end-to-end test cases
· Investigating system variances about to affect major services worldwide
· Diving deep into service interdependencies and region specific configurations to find the root of a problem about to affect an entire nation
You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to test, operate, and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are passionate about cloud technology and believe that world class service is critical to customer success.
The ideal candidate must be detail oriented, have superior verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, able to juggle multiple tasks at once, able to work independently and can maintain professionalism under pressure. You must be able to identify problems before they happen and implement solutions that detect and prevent outages and customer issues. You must be able to accurately prioritize projects, make sound judgments, work to improve the customer experience, and get the right things done.
· Experience supporting a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment
· Experience with large scale distributed systems
· Experience and interest for software development tools and development process automation
· Experience using AWS technologies
· Demonstrable expertise around specifying and utilizing system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24x7 environments
· Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex systems
· Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
· Strong sense of ownership and drive
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust. Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Systems Engineering, or related field or relevant work experience.
· 3+ years of experience in Systems and Network Administration, DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering.
· 3+ years of experience with focus in areas such as systems, network, and/or application security.
· 3+ years of experience with web protocols and Linux/Unix tools.
· 3+ years of experience in scripting, automation and SQL querying.