Every day across the world we develop the ideas, the services and the products that make life easier for tens of millions of customers, and make good things happen faster. From providing Earth’s Biggest Selection of products to developing ground breaking software and devices that change entire industries. Amazon is a place of invention and progressive thinking.
At Amazon, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. Amazon is one of the most recognizable brand names in the world and we distribute millions of products each year to our loyal customers. As an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics like the Kindle family of products and hardware. We have worked to produce innovative devices like our best-selling e-readers, tablets, Fire TV, drones, robots and other hardware. We’re working on the future. What will you help us create?
As an Engineer you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative consumer products. You will work closely with an internal inter-disciplinary team, and outside partners to drive key aspects of product definition, execution and test. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment.
Note: While the majority of our HDE roles are based in the Bay Area, CA area, by applying to this position your application will be considered for all locations we hire for in the United States, including but not limited to: Seattle, WA; Bellevue, WA; Boston, MA.
As a Product Design Engineer, you will have the opportunity to demonstrate a strong working knowledge of mechanical systems; self-motivation, desire to learn from new challenges, problem solve and use communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. You must show a hands-on passion for your work, and must be able to communicate you ideas and concepts verbally and visually. Finally, you must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and prove adaptability to quickly changing contexts and work environments.
As part of a project team you will work alongside Senior Design Engineers; supporting the design, debug, validation and optimization of the products. You will be involved in projects from concept through production, gaining exposure to the complete design lifecycle. You will also support engineering builds gaining experience with high volume manufacturing.
Some positions may require international travel. In this role, you will:
· Designing and building 3D models for testing, proof-of-concept, mock-ups, and functional appearance models
· Finding and interfacing with 3rd party suppliers and integrate their pieces into the whole system design
· Supporting advanced R&D initiatives & prototyping efforts with team members of other disciplines
· Participate in the cross-discipline design process for system design, combining your skills with HW and SW team members to arrive at integrated effective system designs
· Work well with support resources (technicians) to efficiently realize appropriate design portions
· Identifying emerging technologies to help define development opportunities
· Researching advanced materials and manufacturing processes
· Anticipating and correcting issues that may impact mass-production (DFx)
· Supporting positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
· Contributing to schedule & milestone commitments
· Providing cross-functional program integration support
· Master of Science or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related field
· Strong Mathematical/Statistical/Physics fundamentals
· Experience running simulations (FEA, moldflow, thermal analysis, SI, etc.)
· Experience designing and prototyping mechatronics systems
· Experience with industry standard PCB design tools
· Experience with industry standard Mechanical design tools and CAD software
· Excellent written and verbal communication; ability to explain complex concepts and designs to colleagues across disciplines
· Experience in communicating with end users, business teams and management to collect requirements, describe product features and refine technical designs
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related filed
· 0-3 years of experience, consumer/handheld product development
· Strong 3D CAD skills
· Demonstrated knowledge of materials and manufacturing methods
· Experience with rapid prototyping processes (3D printing, CNC-machining, laser cutting)
· Experience with mechanism design and prototyping; precision mechanical assembly