*This role can be located in either Seattle or Nashville*
Amazon is building the next generation software, hardware, and processes that will run the global network of fulfillment centers that move many millions of units of inventory, and ensure that customers get what they want when we promised. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well. We are constantly innovating in the ways we are automating and accelerating the delivery of products and packages which includes building custom hardware and applying robotics, autonomy, supply chain optimization, machine learning, manipulation, image processing, and real-time data processing using distributed systems.
Value Engineering works with the world’s leading automation strategic partners who have the technology and resources to meet Amazon’s growth needs on a global scale, integrating and deploying Amazon’s internally developed robotics into “end-to-end” highly automated systems for receiving, through inventory storage, and order fulfillment spanning single and multiple facilities comprising the Amazon supply chain. We are seeking a talented innovative and solutions-oriented process engineer to lead and deliver value engineering projects that provide superior delivery to customers at extreme high rates, optimized productivity, and best-in-class quality at reduced cost.
If the notion of using groundbreaking technologies to develop fulfillment and logistics systems in the multi-national leader that is Amazon has your attention, bringing your engineering skill set to the next level excites you; working with some of the smartest people you may ever meet gets your heart pumping; then come join us and be a part of our global initiative of developing and delivering next generation, world-class fulfillment systems.
This role includes the following responsibilities:
· Develop pipeline of Value Engineering projects, with highest potential candidates selected jointly by Amazon and supplier partners for implementation with appropriate cross-functional resources.
· Lead quantitative evaluation and optimization of automation systems and equipment to meet end-to-end system goals, integrating Amazon’s internally developed technologies with externally supplied material handling systems. Formulate the technical approach, identify data requirements, and computer modeling and simulation tools to quantify the benefits, costs, and operational impacts of VE projects.
· Working with cross-functional internal and external teams, formulate and execute work plans to validate VE technical and cost feasibility, through modeling, simulation, and field trials.
· Provide technical and operational data and analytics to Finance to validate benefits and costs. Support writing of Capital Appropriation Requests and Change Orders required to execute the project.
· Provide critical evaluation and validation of equipment and system level specifications as required for VE projects to internal and supplier technical teams, to assure delivery of required safety, performance, and reliability in operations.
· Respond at a tactical level to address critical short term needs, and initiate or support strategic initiatives with global impact.
· MS in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or MBA
· Experience working with simulation software
· Demonstrated design and/or implementation experience with integrated automation solutions, such as material handling systems, high-speed packaging lines, or manufacturing lines.
· Proven technical leadership for industrial engineering projects or programs.
· Excellent written (white papers) and oral communication skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or other STEM field.
· 4+ years of experience as a project engineer, process engineer, project manager, manufacturing engineer, or related occupation.
· Design and/or implementation experience with integrated automation solutions, such as material handling systems, high-speed packaging lines, or manufacturing lines.
· 2+ years of experience with metrics, process capabilities, LEAN and IE techniques/tools like Kaizen
· 2+ years of experience with complex problem-solving using tools like 5Why’s, fishbone, 8D
· Ability to travel globally up to 30% per year