Amazon’s Shopping Design team designs the shopping journey for Amazon customers—from discovery and evaluation of products and programs, to writing and reading product reviews, to gifting and saving products for later, to checking out and completing purchases. We’re also the team that defines the UX guidelines and design language (codified in our shopping design system) that enable teams across Amazon to design on-brand shopping experiences efficiently and at scale.
We are seeking an impact-oriented Principal Designer to play a key leadership role in the future of Personalization and lead the next phase of our customer focused innovation. Using a diverse set of data including user research, customer service, and behavioral data from millions of customers shopping every day worldwide, you’ll envision new end-to-end experiences, patterns, and innovations for recommendations across the site. You’ll work closely with a cross-functional group of engineers, product managers, research scientists, user researchers, and executives to propose and drive customer-focused innovation using the latest technology in machine learning, artificial intelligence, and mobile and web technology to drive impact to millions of customers around the world.
As the right candidate, you are a pragmatic visionary that can translate needs and constraints into a simple, intuitive, customer-focused solution. You are a systems thinker that can see around corners to anticipate the needs of tomorrow, a world with an ever-growing number of delivery options, plus pick-up points, physical stores, drone delivery, and beyond. You have a passion for innovation, simplification, and a strong attention to detail. You are a proven strategic thinker and collaborator who flourishes in a large organization, and skilled at managing multiple stakeholders and leading projects that span numerous teams. Most important, you like to have fun!
· Own the user experience design for Amazon personalization experiences worldwide across surfaces.
· Drive design from initial concept through final implementation.
· Clearly and persuasively communicate, specify, and describe design concepts, solutions, and needs to senior executives.
· Mentor the design team to excel in all aspects of design including interaction design, visual design, and concept development.
· Understand how to advocate for customers and integrate user research into the product development process.
· Illustrate design direction through excellent communication and storytelling.
· Build respect and credibility with stakeholders, direct reports, other management, and executives.
· Work collaboratively as a partner with product management and engineering to create amazing user experiences that delight customers.
· Contribute to, and curate, the group’s best practices for UX design.
· Use diverse inputs to identify and define exciting new concepts, opportunities, and customer problems.
· Use humor, creativity, and positive energy to maintain personal and team momentum.
· Master’s degree in graphic design, HCI, interaction design, or related field preferred. May be substituted with significant industry experience and accomplishments.
· Fluency in best practices for Accessibility, User Interface Design, Information Architecture, and Interaction Design.
· Ability to drive and close on design requirements independently with a bias toward scalable systems and patterns.
· Ability to provide and effectively communicate strategic and tactical recommendations based on quantitative/qualitative data.
· eCommerce and/or retail design experience
· Digital Advertising, Marketing, or Ad-Tech experience is a plus—not a requirement.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Ideal candidate profile
· 10+ years of experience in product, web, mobile, interaction design, or related work.
· Portfolio of shipped work demonstrating impactful principal design work and leadership, with a deep understanding of human-centered design principles.
· Work must consistently demonstrate a strong aesthetic judgement and training, in addition to exemplary UX skills.
· Mastery of standard interactive design tools and process (Sketch, Axure, etc).
· Ability to create interactive experiences with prototyping software or by hand,
· Demonstrated experience designing in agile environments
· Strong written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; including the ability to communicate complex design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.