Come build the future of Linux at Amazon with the Amazon Linux Team!
If you are an experienced software developer in Linux Kernel who is passionate about building the platform to support the world’s premier cloud computing environment, then this is the job for you.
The Kernel and Operating System group is responsible for the design and maintenance of all of Amazon's core compute platforms, with a special focus on EC2, the Elastic Compute Cloud that is the basis for much of Amazon Web Services (AWS). We're also responsible for tools associated with the performance characterization, qualification, build and deployment of our Linux platforms. The Amazon Linux Kernel team is responsible for the providing highly scalable, performant, reliable and secure kernel for EC2 platforms.
Software Development Engineers work with technical leaders to refine technical direction, and then follow through with detailed analysis, designs, and superior code. They are equally comfortable leading small, focused project teams as well as making major direct contributions to the project. They deliver features with minimal direct oversight.
The baseline individual for this role will be entirely comfortable with the Linux Kernel and understand how to develop in languages such as C, Assembly and Python in a Linux environment. Experience with Linux package management, version control systems, automated build processes, and software unit testing are a must. An understanding of and experience in contributing to open source projects is a plus. Specific in depth knowledge of the use, design, and development of Linux operating system internals, including the kernel and hypervisor is required for this role.
This team creates the very core of the cloud, and is directly responsible for radically changing and improving the way that people use computers - come help us make history!
· Extensive experience with Linux Kernel subsystems, drivers and having participated in Linux Kernel community.
· Experience using the typical Linux toolbox of open source software and management tools.
· Experience in using git
· Experience with RPM packaging
· MS or PhD in Computer Science.
· 3+ years as a senior team lead
· A solid understanding of Linux networking.
· Experience working with the open source community.
· Experience with distributed systems architecture and related technologies.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Ideal candidate profile
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· BA/BS/MS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
· 3+ years of industry experience focused on Linux Kernel and developed large subsystems in operating systems.
· Experience in using the typical Linux toolbox of open source software and management tools.
· Experience with C, Assembly
· Past experience in at least one of the scripting language such as bash, python, perl.