We are looking for MSc and PhD candidates to join our international team at our Amazon Development Center in central Berlin for a 4-6 month Software Development Engineer internship in 2020. Internships are flexible in length and start date to fit in with you and your university’s requirements.. Internships are flexible in length and start date to fit in with you and your university’s requirements.
Our Redshift Database team is enhancing an extremely successful, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing any size data set using the same SQL. With this team, you will have the chance to explore a particular database implementation or performance analysis project and work together with other developers and designers in the team to deliver new and enhanced functionality within the Redshift database or the Redshift Spectrum data lake analytics engine.
Our interns will join one of our small agile teams at our development center, launching and growing new initiatives. Your team will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to development, performance analysis and deployment across a variety of technologies - giving you a real sense of ownership. Together we build systems that meet high standards of performance and reliability and operate at massive scale.
Amazon is a place where builders can build. Our internships offer exceptional opportunities for you to grow your technical and non-technical skills. From day one, you will be working with experienced engineers and designers who love what they do. We will work together to define a project that has great value to Redshift and is interesting and challenging for you. You will join a high performing team with which you will grow and innovate. You will drive your own learning and development with guidance and coaching from your manager, mentor and team mates. You will personally experience the excellent long-term career development prospects at one of the world’s leading online businesses.
We offer highly competitive internship salaries. This is your opportunity to experience a unique environment and spend your industrial internship with a passionate and international team who are pioneers.
Please note that we typically experience a high volume of applications and we will fill positions as they become available, so we encourage you to apply early. Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, and simplify.
· Basic familiarity with the internals of a database implementation.
· Familiarity with the SQL language
· Understanding of distributed systems
· Understanding of performance analysis methodology and techniques
· Results oriented and analytical, with a customer and business focus.
· Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences.
· Innovative and self-directed, while able to work within a team.
· Curious and motivated to grow your technical abilities.
Ideal candidate profile
- You have completed at least a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. Applicants from a related discipline with a strong grounding in Computer Science will also be considered.
- You are studying and working towards an advanced degree - MSc or PhD level. If PhD level you should be within 2 years of completion.
· Demonstrated software design and implementation skills, including coding skills in C, C++, Python and or SQL
· Knowledge of computer science fundamentals, especially data structures, system software concepts and algorithms
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Fluent written and verbal English communications skills.