Infrastructure Decommission Technician
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a fast paced technology company and a leader in the world of Cloud Computing. We are currently expanding our Inside Plant Operations team and are looking for a proven Infrastructure Decommissioning Technician (IDT) with experience in people management, robust technical understanding of network and infrastructure implementation concepts and the drive and vision to take AWS to the next level. The Inside Plant (ISP) team are looking to hire a highly motivated, best-in-class IDT who will work closely with project management, network engineers and operations teams to facilitate smooth project delivery. The IDT will be responsible for executing multiple concurrent project activities and communicate the clear status of each project.
· Decommissioning of network and cabling infrastructure in a Data Center environment
· Deliver sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes, always with an eye on improvement.
· Manage work and priorities through ticketing system and/or workflows.
· Provide structured feedback on project progress to Stakeholders.
· Co-ordinate multiple concurrent projects
· Exhibit quality workmanship on all work and maintain Data Center cleanliness
· Follow all production, safety and quality standards, codes and industry best practices
· Collaborate with various Stakeholders to remove project obstacles.
· Reading and comprehending blueprints and building documentation/redline work
· Travel within geographical work area is required, up to 20% travel outside traditional work area may be required possibly including international travel.
· Manage, check and coordinate all decommissioned materials.
· Familiarity with common networking terms.
· Ability to work autonomously and co-ordinate projects independently.
· Broad understanding of Data Center infrastructure technologies
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, and Outlook
· Must possess proven problem solving skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to effectively read, write and give oral presentation(s)
· Familiarity with network cabling failure scenarios
· Comfortable with medium to large, complex project scopes and ambiguous details within work environment
· Excellent judgement and analytical skills, ability to prioritize tasks based on fluctuating needs
· Strong prioritization and time management ability.
· +3 years experience installing/Decommissioning large scale Data Center network infrastructure cabling
· Operational Excellence concepts or methodologies is a plus
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
· Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Ideal candidate profile
· 4 + years In-depth knowledge of Cat 5, Cat 6 and OM1 – OS2 fiber optic cabling systems
· 3 +years of in depth knowledge of network cabling, optic types, and test equipment, such as VFL, power meter, and OTDR.
· 3+ years’ experience with cabling infrastructure best practices and methodologies.
· 3+ years’ experience troubleshooting cabling infrastructure connectivity issues, including patch panels and patch cords.
· 3+ years’ experience managing work and priorities through ticketing system and workflows