Work at the intersection of economics, and data science.
Amazon's digital economics team is looking for an Economist to help and be part of a team to put cutting edge economic and data science advertising research into production. We are looking for a unique individual who is interested in bigger picture strategic thinking but with the passion for big data.
This team is responsible for modeling customer behavior in relation to advertising using state of the art econometrics and machine learning as well as sizing and running experiments. This role requires presenting results to some of the most senior leaders of the company.
If you have a background in economics, mathematics, or statistics and have always experience building and mentoring science teams, this is the job for you.
About Amazon's advertising business:
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Sponsored Products helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising that grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The Sponsored Products Ad Marketplace team optimizes the systems and ad placements to match demand with supply using a combination of machine learning, big data analytics, ultra-low latency high-volume engineering systems, and quantitative product focus. Our goals are to help buyers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for Advertisers to meet their business objectives and continue to build a big, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers.
The candidate's responsibilities will include:
· Build scalable analytic solutions using state of the art tools based on large datasets
· Build econometric models, conduct statistical/machine learning analyses, or design experiments to measure the value of the business and its many features
· Partner closely with Business, Finance, Science, and Tech partners to build prototypes and implement production solutions
· Independently identify new opportunities for leveraging economic insights and models in the Advertising business
· Develop and execute product workplans from concept, prototype to production incorporating feedback from customers, scientists and business leaders
· Write both technical white papers and business-facing documents to clearly explain complex technical concepts to audiences with diverse business/scientific backgrounds
· Proficiency in one or more production languages (Python, Scala, Java, C++)
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data
· Experience working in a fast-paced business environment
Ideal candidate profile
· PhD in Economics or a related field
· Proven experience in building statistical models using R, Python, STATA, or a related software
· Experience working with big datasets
· Ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary science and engineering team
· Ability to communicate relevant scientific insights from data to senior business leaders and product managers