The North American (NA) Amazon Logistics (AMZL) team is seeking an experienced, innovative, hands on and customer obsessed Design Engineer to drive delivery station process, building design and standardization across our Last Mile delivery network. As a member of the NA AMZL Engineering team you will be responsible for designing and optimizing the delivery and sortation network, enabling operations processes to meet safety, customer experience, quality and cost goals that span delivery stations, outside traffic flow and on-road operations.
This position requires deep customer focus, strong self-motivation and exceptional project management skills. The role will involve regular communication with project sponsors and executive leadership, and requires you to be detail-oriented and comfortable partnering and leading with cross-functional business and technical teams. To be successful, you need strong design and innovation experience to pair with strong analytical skills and a data-driven outlook.
This role is based in Seattle and will involve travel up to 25%.
· Own building design, development, review and release for approval and deployment of new delivery stations and existing station capacity improvements and enhancements
· Provide process expertise on engineering design including material flow, labor placement, conveyors, equipment, modules, packaging profiles and real estate layouts
· Collaborate and partner with Real Estate, World Wide Engineering (WWE), material handling equipment suppliers, Launch and Start Up teams, Finance, Volume Planning, and Capacity Planning teams among others.
· Contribute to network culture of standardization via best practice sharing with European (EU) and Worldwide (WW) counterparts, and incorporate into most up to date design practices
· Lead continuous process and design benchmark initiatives and conduct deep dive benchmark studies
· Support the Design QA process that strives for accurate, zero-defect designs
· MBA, MSc or MEng (Logistics, Supply Chain, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent)
· Certified OE Black Belt, Green Belt or Lean Sensei
· Experience with simulation and 3D modeling software
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent industrial and operations background
· Minimum three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a similar process and building layout design and development role, ideally in fast-paced industrial, logistics, distribution, fulfillment or production/manufacturing environment
· Knowledge and proficiency in standard design tools such as AutoCAD, MS Visio, Solidworks, etc.
· Process Engineering skills and excellent Project Management skills
· Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships with business partners and key stakeholders and the ability to work under pressure in a cross functional organization
· High level of written, verbal and interpersonal skills
· Expertise in Lean Management, Six Sigma and other OE tools
· Advanced data analysis skills and an expert in using supporting tools e.g. Minitab, JMP, Excel, MS Access
· Ability to travel approximately 20% of the time