The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Training and Certification organization educates customers, partners, and AWS Employees globally on AWS products, solutions, and best practices. We are seeking a talented and experienced Data Scientist to perform data analytics and create forecasting processes to influence business strategies and better understand a customer’s training & certification journey.
As part of the AWS Training and Certification (T&C) Business Intelligence and Data Analytics team you will analyze data provide insights using statistical methods and processes. We are looking for someone who is comfortable getting into data and understanding patterns and performance that can be leveraged in business strategies. The right candidate will be passionate about working with large datasets and should be someone who loves to bring data together to answer complex business questions that deepen our understanding of our business drivers. As a Data Scientist within AWS, you will have the exciting opportunity to help analyze and deliver data driven insights that will broaden AWS’s penetration in the cloud computing market.
The ideal candidate will have a background in analyzing and deriving insights from data by using SQL (e.g. Redshift), analytics (e.g. R, Python), statistical processes (e.g. machine learning, forecasting, and predictive analytics), and business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau). A successful candidate should have the technical proficiency to develop code to produce processes that analyze our data and the business proficiency to summarize their findings and report to the AWS Training and Certification leadership team. This role will work closely with Business Intelligence Engineers, Business Analyst, Economists, Program Managers, and AWS T&C Leadership.
· Serve as a key member of the AWS Training & Certification Business Intelligence and Data Analytics team by turning data into actionable insights and providing support for strategic initiatives.
· Conduct analysis of existing metrics and create new metrics that will be shared with the Global Operations Team and executive stakeholders.
· Recommend, develop, and manage machine learning/statistical processes and tools.
· Conducts data analyses with the appropriate statistical approach (regressions, linear and non-linear correlation, entropy, t-test, F-test, etc.)
· Identify needed data for projects and understand underlying structure (distribution, variable independence, outliers, etc.), and develop process to help improve data quality
· Influence the decisions of senior business leaders through effective verbal and written communication and logical reasoning.
· Able to discuss and present data science processes to business leaders and provide support to help with understanding of processes to non-tech individuals.
· Manage numerous requests concurrently and strategically, prioritizing when necessary.
· Drive and support projects that help build AWS into the most customer-centric technology platform
· Master’s degree or PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science, Technology, or a similar discipline with analytical bias
· 5+ years of relevant work experience as a data scientist, statistician, or similar position requiring analysis, statistics, machine learning, and data science.
· 3+ years of experience writing SQL
· 2+ years of experience with Tableau Desktop
· Expert proficiency with advanced data analytics
· Experience forecasting large organizational goals and revenue
· Experience modeling customer journey throughout multiple systems, websites, and products
· Experience developing and managing data science platform and tools within AWS
· Excellent communications skills including, presenting, editing, and writing as well as accuracy and attention to detail required.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Technology, or a similar discipline with analytical bias
· 3+ years of relevant work experience as a data scientist, statistician, or similar position requiring analysis, statistics, machine learning, and data science.
· Proficient with mathematical programming libraries (e.g. R, Python)
· 2+ years of experience wiring SQL and working within databases (e.g. Redshift or similar)
· Advanced proficiency with advanced data analytics
· Experience with business intelligence and data visualization and reporting tools (e.g. Tableau)
· Experience creating white papers and documents describing model output
· Experience developing and managing data science platform and tools
· Ability to perform root cause analysis to uncover issues within data
· Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements