Amazon's Data Centers are industry leading examples of innovation in the areas of data center critical infrastructure design, space utilization, energy efficiency, and cost effectiveness. We are known for our speed to market, reliability, and lowest total cost of ownership. We are the global team responsible for ensuring that our industry leading Data Center facilities are standardized are operating per our latest design standards throughout the world. Our Engineers are on the forefront of creating and delivering the most innovative products to our customers; and are known for being a diverse and upbeat team that is continually improving the world of cloud computing. We continue to grow and are looking for individuals that can support our mission, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning. Amazon's work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate. If you are a creative, smart, and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems, we want YOU!
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Field Optimization Engineer with a Structural Engineering background in mission critical facilities design, field, or operational engineering experience to become part of a global engineering team that is responsible for performing availability and performance audits of legacy data centers comparing them to our latest design standards. As engineers at Amazon, we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers via our resilient designs and cost effective systems. As one of our Field Optimization Engineers, you will work directly with our Design/Field Engineering, Construction, Operations, and Commissioning teams at the Data Centers within your assigned region to analyze problems with the existing fleet and develop/implement solutions specific to your region, and across the global fleet. You will be the engineering representative for each issue. Since we worked hard to develop a large scale fleet of Data Centers and drive continuous advancements and improvements within our designs, we will look to you for identifying design related gaps and availability risks then to provide suggestions for improving the availability/costs/performance/simplicity of our equipment and system designs. This will include reviewing existing designs and contributing your field experience to collaborate with the other Engineering teams to develop new systems and equipment. Amazon has a global presence, therefore, domestic and international travel will be necessary up to 25% of your time. Team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required tasks. This includes working with internal groups as well as external suppliers and consultants, including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
If you have an understanding of the critical equipment needs for large infrastructure mission critical sites and equipment; especially data centers, and understand the constructability of varying designs, you may be a good fit.
The Field Optimization Structural Engineer will be responsible for the following:
· Understanding the design and functionality of the data centers within your assigned region(s)
· Traveling to different data center regions to conduct engineering evaluations of critical infrastructure designs, equipment performance, equipment settings, and commissioning results. Anticipated travel not to exceed 25%.
· Work with the other design and engineering professionals on concepts, build, and retrofit projects.
· Review data center structural improvements and architectural designs.
· Provide relevant feedback into Basis of Design, prototype design, and template specifications for structural systems.
· Serve as a technical advisor for AWS DC design projects including; review of foundation and structural systems, evaluating superstructure design options, and assessing structural calculation assumptions.
· Coordinate with internal and external MEP design engineers.
· Lead initiatives aimed at improving cost, quality, schedule, and consistency.
· Identifying differences in the existing data center designs from the Design Engineering team's latest standards and specifications
· Creating detailed audit reports along with identifying solutions to remediate any immediate threats to our operations
· Leading internal teams to conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA), developing Corrective Action (CA) solutions/plans for design gaps and performance related problems, and reporting status of implementations
· Providing feedback to the Design Engineering teams for design revisions for new data centers as well as to Field Engineering for legacy data center upgrades
· Collaborating with Commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical/mechanical systems per the design intent; then using this data to calibrate our performance models.
· Reporting results of audits to Design and Field Engineering teams
· Working on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions
· Being a leader within the group as well as within other teams
· Being positive and always offer creative, out of the box solutions
· Having fun and working hard!
Ideal candidate profile
· Master's degree in structural engineering.
· 8+ years of experience in structural design for industrial or commercial projects combined with 1+ years of performing due diligence, design gap analysis, and/or operational performance audits of Mission Critical facilities
· Experience with tilt-up and precast concrete structures, structural steel systems, seismic design, wind loading, snow loading, and building forensic analysis.
· Experience with geotechnical engineering, structural modular design, building construction, forensic analysis of building design and construction defects, and evaluating value engineering for building structure and foundation.
· Knowledge of international building codes and regulations including IBC, ASCE, ACI, AISC, ASTM, and OSHA.
· Experience with gathering, compiling, and analyzing data to identify availability and/or performance risks within the design and operations of mission critical environments
· Ability to produce analyses that ensure data centers satisfy defined design requirements, including availability goals, power quality specifications, and predicted performance targets