At Amazon, we strive to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them an environment in which they can relentlessly improve the experience for customers.
Amazon is looking to hire a highly motivated, best-in-class Data Center Technician to provide hands on support for its Data Center location.
You are someone who is highly autonomous, very detail oriented and possesses very strong written & verbal communication skills. You will have previous hands on technical troubleshooting experience and a proven ability solving complex problems. You possess strong technical knowledge of fiber optics and networking equipment.
You will have experience building relationships with internal and external teams/customers along with innovating effective solutions to meet issues & problems as they arise. You maintain high standards for data center cabling and maintenance. You seek out ways to improve yourself and the processes and systems with which you work.
Most of all you will also have a passion for technology along with a desire to be the best at your job every day!
About the Role:
As a Data Center Technician in Amazon, you will get to help build and maintain a Cloud Computing Infrastructure across a number of local and remote locations in the Americas.
The role involves some periods working independently from your team and requires the ability to drive change while maintaining excellent communications.
Your day job will include (but not limited to):
· Triaging and repairing data center fiber optic cabling/systems and network hardware
· Troubleshooting Network installation and configuration
· Coordinating remote hands for new capacity installations
· Resolving data center facility issues
· Co-ordinating remote hands and eyes for any data center network issues
· Participating in small to mid-size projects creating or expanding data centers
· Building relationships with remote facilities to ensure swift response times to events
· Performing site audits to ensure safety and quality meets standards
· Improving all Operational Processes and Security with each site
· Decommissioning cabling and network hardware as needed
· Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
· Understanding of distributed and service oriented architectures.
• Proven ability to manage customer expectations and resolve conflicts that balance client and company needs.
• LEAN, Sigma and Operational Excellence knowledge and/or proficiency.
Excellent knowledge of server hardware
• Excellent knowledge of Linux, UNIX administration
• Copper/Fiber Optic Testing/Cabling Standards.
• Understanding of TCP/IP networks.
• Proficiency with MS Office, MS Project, SQL.
• Excellent prioritization and time management
• 4+ years working in a data center operations environment.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• This role involves 60% travel, including some international travel. Candidate must be able to accommodate travel requirements.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelors Degree (BA or BS) in computer science or management or equivalent experience
· 2+ years of Linux, UNIX administration
· 2+ years troubleshooting Network installation and configuration
· 2+ years triaging and repairing data center fiber optic cabling/systems and network hardware
Physical Requirements (all physical requirements may be done with reasonable accommodations)
· This position also has a physical component requiring the ability to lift & rack equipment up to 40lbs; it may require working in cramped spaces or in elevated locations while adhering to health & safety guidelines.