Airbus Operations SAS
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
The Flight Physics Capabilities Department is looking for a talented and motivated engineer for the development of Multidisciplinary Design Analysis and Optimization (MDAO) tools, models, and processes to support the conceptual/preliminary multi design trades on a wide range of air vehicles.
Mission of the domain
The Flight Physics capabilities teams are in charge of developing and maintaining the simulation means needed for a wide variety of disciplines such as aerodynamics, aircraft loads, handling qualities, mass or performance. In that mission, these teams play a central role in the on-going end-to-end digitalization of Airbus processes for aircraft design, manufacturing and services, while at the same time supporting the growth of the production and support of today’s products.
The candidate will be working collaboratively and independently with other teammates in a fast-paced environment for developing, deploying, and maintaining medium- to high-fidelity multi-physics process chains in the context of overall aircraft design process tools based on low and high fidelity of physical models.
The candidate will be expected to have/develop a good understanding of the underlying physics (aerodynamic, handling qualities, aircraft performance or loads, airframe …), and processes (parametric aerodynamic shape design …) and optimization technics (gradient, non-gradient, adjoint approach, surrogate modelling techniques).
The position requires collaboration with teammates from different backgrounds including physics, engineering, and software development and architecture.
The candidate will have to interact with other centres of excellence inside Airbus (Future Projects, Airframe and Propulsion) to develop with them these Multidisciplinary Design Analysis and Optimization capabilities. This position requires also steering with external research partners to implement and adapt their technical solutions and methodologies to Airbus industrial context.
The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to self-teach new skills and techniques, and to work with non-software teammates to translate ill-defined requirements into useful software tools.
The main responsibilities can be summarized as follows:
· Development, demonstration, deployment and maintenance of MDAO chains based on a wide portfolio of engineering software (in-house, external partners, COTS)
· Work closely within a transnational capabilities development team to implement computational physics and optimization algorithms
· Contribute, support and deliver the MDAO strategy to end customers
· Contribute in animating the interfaces between Airbus and its external Research Establishment as capability development team member
· Gather and disseminate knowledge of methodologies, requirements and lessons learnt across the teams
The candidate will participate in and ultimately animate cross-centre multidisciplinary teams to develop innovative software solutions to enable the next generation of air vehicles design.
As the successful candidate, you will be able to demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- PhD or Engineer degree in aeronautics, applied mathematics or computer science plus 3 years’ experience.
- Strong technical background with Multidisciplinary Design Analysis and Optimization (MDAO) tools and processes
- Experience developing parametric geometry in CATIA and MDAO models for design space exploration and optimization,
- Mastering Object oriented programming (C++, python)
- Software performance optimization /High-performance computing application development
- Communication, networking and collaboration
- Continuous Improvement, Decision Making and Innovation
- Advanced level of English
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.