Airbus Operations SAS
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
What if YOU starts your journey with US!
As part of a school curriculum in initial training , you are looking for a mandatory internship or integrated into a gap year , that will allow you to validate your studies. The internship duration is 4 to 6 months maximum.
We offer you to work in a world-leading company which is at the heart of a digital transformation, at the cutting edge of research and innovation.
We are looking for a motivated and willing-to-learn engineering student to join the Aircraft Performance team for an Internship on Statistical analysis of aircraft measurements versus weather forecasts (m/f) at Airbus site in Toulouse .
This internship is to be filled from 1st March 2020 (the dates are subject to a certain flexibility)
One of our missions is to improve the aircraft performance in operations. Today operational flight plans are computed using weather forecast and the efficiency of the optimization is highly dependent on the accuracy of the forecast used.
Today, Airbus is rigged with state of the art data management and analysis technology that is opening new possibilities.
The objective of this internship will be to explore innovative ways of using weather data forecasted and measured to optimize the performance of Airbus aircraft in their daily operations
· Tasks and Responsibilities :
You will be working under the supervision of your manager who will help you identify your professional objectives and support you in the development of your skills.
Your main tasks will be as follows:
Once you have discovered the airbus flight data management & analysis environment, your internship will include two main steps:
- Evaluation of the weather forecasts accuracy versus real measurements in flight
· Developing the capability to compare real measurements coming from aircraft versus weather forecasts coming from several weather providers (Meteo France, NOAA…).
· Use statistical methods to evaluate the difference between predictions and real flight parameters. The main concerned parameters will be wind and temperature.
· Identify the impact on aircraft fuel consumption and suggest potential improvements of current Airbus weather modelization.
- Use an occurrence probability associated to weather forecasts in the aircraft performance functions
· Define the occurrence probability of a weather based on several weather forecasts (coming from different weather providers with different modelizations, different input conditions or different grid definitions).
· Validate this probability function versus real measurements.
· Evaluate the interest to use this probability function to challenge aircraft performance modelizations ( example : commutation of the descent phase)
The scope of your internship will be ultimately defined by your level of autonomy and curiosity.
· Required skills :
You are preparing a diploma level Bac+5 in Aerospace/General Engineering or aeronautics with a specialization in applied mathematics or data science and
- You are advanced in French and advanced in English.
- You have a good knowledge/experience in statistical, probabilistic methods and scripting.
- Programming knowledge/experience of scripting will be a plus
- Basic knowledge/experience in the domain of Flight Physics and weather will be a plus
- You are able to use proficiently tools such as pyspark, linux,
· Soft skills:
- Rigorous, curious and autonomous
- Good team player with interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to analyze and synthesize information
- Knowledge of project management would be a plus.
Depending on the specifics of the offer, you may have to travel to another locations.
If your profile catches our attention, you will be invited to perform a video interview during which you will have a few minutes to tell us about your background, motivations and your professional project. Afterwards, your application could be proposed to the managers for further review.
If the prospect of joining our innovative Group motivates you do not hesitate and apply online on our website www.airbus.com/careers !
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.