Assistant Golf Course Superintendent - (Permanent Full time)
Join a winning team! The Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course has won nearly every award there is to garner, ranging from #1 in Canada to Top Ten Golf Courses in the World. It played host to the Telus World Skins Game in 2006 and 2011. As well, it is the only Canadian golf course that is featured in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13. Come experience it in person and have the Canadian Rockies be your “office” at The Fairmont Banff Springs.
What is in it for you:
· Subsidized staff accommodation provided on-site for full time status
· Duty meal in our Bean on the Green staff cafeteria
· Employee Travel Program
· Comprehensive Wellness Platform (LifeWorks)
· Discounts on food & beverage/fitness centre/spa/golf
· Golf privileges for The Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course
· Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within Fairmont Banff Springs and over 5,000 properties with Accor
What you will be doing:
· Cutting grasses with a wide variety of self-propelled and push type machines
· Communicates regularly with the Superintendent, on all aspect of golf course maintenance and colleagues performances.
· Create and maintain daily schedule of duties, conduct the daily morning briefing for our team
· Create and lead all or part of departmental orientation training, equipment/procedure training manuals, train all colleagues, and ensure training sign-offs are completed before equipment is used and an up to date trained list is posted and maintained
· Scheduling all staff while ensuring a balance is achieved so as the guest and environment are taken into consideration while noting the budgetary guidelines
· Plans all golf course grooming maintenance and project work with the approval of the Superintendent, applying their agronomic and administrative expertise to achieve the agreed-upon maintenance standards and long-range goals
· Monitor golf course grooming and supervision of employees ensuring programs are meeting expectations and Fairmont standards are being met
· Work with Superintendent on budgeting and purchasing process, acquiring equipment and necessary supplies to maintain the golf course
· Familiar with any irrigation system and pump house operations, ability to repair and trouble shoot irrigation.
· Ability to perform and understand most cultural/plant health practices. Be a lead hand during these programs
· Represent Turf Care on one of the hotel’s committees such as Health and Safety and Service Plus
· Hiring and performance counselling colleagues
· Be a mentor leading, teaching, and aspiring staff to develop themselves and the efficiencies of the operation
· Assisting mechanics with getting machinery set and ready for uses
· Adaptable and reactionary to severe weather change
· Must be flexible and able to jump into various roles when necessary
· Must be flexible and adaptable to schedule changes.
Your experience and skills include:
· Understanding of agronomy, turf grass science, golf course design and aesthetics, and the rules of golf
· High degree of administrative and executive ability, especially in terms of problem solving and decision making
· Knowledge of current federal, provincial and local laws and regulations as well as Fairmont policies affecting the management of golf course operations (including, but not limited to, employment, safety and environmental standards, laws and regulations)
· Knowledge in maintenance of turf equipment and irrigation systems
· Trouble shooting and problem solving skills
· Strong leadership, communication and organizational skills
· Innovative and solution driven
· Detailed oriented
· Ability to multi-task
· Knowledge of tools, methods and materials used in grounds and landscape maintenance work
· Ability to operate all mowing equipment, cultural equipment, sod cutter, chainsaw, standard transmissions and do fertilizer and pesticide calibration
· Ability to operate large equipment such as a skid steer, tractor, sweeper, and one-ton dump truck.
· A postsecondary degree or diploma in turfgrass science or related field
· Golf Course experience (3-5 years)
· Valid Alberta pesticide applicator’s license (transferable from home province)
· Class 5 Drivers License
· Updated drivers abstract
Your team and working environment:
· Fast-paced, upscale, luxury hotel
· Close proximity to multiple ski resorts
· Hospitality employees worldwide making this a great place to develop lifelong connections
Rate of Pay:
· Is negotiable, and commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience
Visa Requirements: Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. The hotel is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
APPLY TODAY: For more information on working and living in Banff, please visit www.banffspringsjobs.com .
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits