Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
This level of the Technical Services Engineer (TSE) provides the clinical and technical interface between the medical community and various SJM departments through consultation. Requires the application of theoretical principles and creative/analytical techniques typically acquired in a recognized four-year or more biomedical engineering or other medical-related academic course of study. Identifies and routinely uses the most effective, cost efficient and best practices to execute processes; continually evaluates their effectiveness and appropriateness. Stays abreast of and consults on technical advancements. Promotes the process of continuous quality improvement and risk management, and coordinates solutions for technical and project issues.Functioning under general supervision, provides independent clinical and technical support in response to inquiries from physicians, health care professionals, patients and field staff using professional knowledge and judgment.
• Provides technical or clinical information to customers in response to inquiries/report from the field.
• Performs product evaluations and testing based on reports from the field.
• Provides clinical and technical support services.
• Provides back-up support to Field Clinical Engineering/Sales Representatives in the areas of sales support (device implants and follow-ups), regional training seminars and troubleshooting.
• Provides and conducts product training to in-house personnel.
• Assists in the presentation of educational material for new product training and in-service seminars to physicians, nurses and sales representatives.
• Reviews product manuals, communiques and memorandum for technical clinical accuracy and content.
• Documents all contacts via an approved tracking system, writing Field Contact Reports for complaints per SMF guidelines. • Remains current on developments in field(s) of expertise, applicable regulatory requirements, and a general knowledge of the company’s products, markets, and objectives as well as industry trends.
• Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
• Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in electronic engineering, biomedical engineering, or a related field.
• 2+ years experience providing medical device industry technical support, including relevant experience in the cardiac pacing industry.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and evaluate technologically complex devices; demonstrated written and verbal communication, interpersonal, facilitation, presentation, quantitative, analytical, organizational, and follow-up skills.
• Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
• Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
• Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
• Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
• Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
• Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
• Ability to travel approximately XX%, including internationally.
• Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.