Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Staff R&D Engineer to join our team. This position will be located in our Plymouth, MN location. This is an exciting opportunity to join Abbott's fast-growing Structural Heart business unit, home of the life-saving Amplatzer family of medical devices. In this role, you will be focused on the delivery system development of a cardiac occlude from concept to commercialization by supporting the design and development process. You will be using a wide variety of technical skills and reasoning in analyzing mechanical systems, designing mechanical systems, designing and running tests (e.g. mechanical and/or reliability testing), improving or resolving product features, documenting findings (e.g. protocol test reports, engineering memos), and finding and updating documents in product management system. You will be working with both internal customers (e.g. in supporting Marketing, Manufacturing Engineering, Production, Regulatory, and Quality Assurance on engineering projects and meeting corporate goals) and external customers (e.g. Physicians, managing vendors and facilitating timely delivery of high-quality services and parts).
- Research, develop, design, and evaluate medical device implants and delivery systems
- Develops new concepts from initial design to market release
- Conducts feasibility studies to verify capability and functionality
- Investigates and evaluates existing technologies
- Test method development through validation including anatomical relevant methods
- Reviews or coordinates vendor activities to support development
- Maintains detailed documentation throughout all phases of development
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors
- Write and submit intellectual property (patents)
- Participates in the development of less experienced staff by setting an example, providing guidance and work direction, and offering counsel
- Selecting innovative, practical methods to achieve problem resolution.
- Comply with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments
- Establishes and cultivates an extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Participates in the development of less experienced staff by setting an example, providing guidance and work direction, and offering counsel.
- May lead a project team.
- Participates in determining goals and objectives for projects. Influences middle management on technical or business solutions. May interact with vendors.
- Manage technicians and/or junior Engineers
- Plans and organizes non-routine tasks w/approval, initiates or maintains work schedule, and establishes priorities of work assignments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical, or related discipline
- 8+ years of progressive work experience in a R&D engineering environment, including product designing, testing, and test method development
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of a variety of engineering disciplines, theories and concepts, to support development of innovative approaches to problem solving
- Previous experience supervising technicians and/or junior level Engineers
- Ability to lead teams and to work within cross-functional teams as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization
- Advanced Degree(s) in a Science, Engineering, and/or related discipline
- Project management skills and/or a PMP certification
- Previous experience designing and testing medical devices
- Manufacturing process experience working with catheter and delivery systems
- Experience in designing catheter and delivery system and knowledge of manufacturing process
- Metals experience a plus – stainless steel and nitinol material – including processing and evaluation methods
- Solidworks or other CAD experience